PDA

View Full Version : cannot launch SS&D

chukeej
2009-10-18, 07:16
WinXP Home/SP2/IE7 - I am trying to d/l the latest updates for SS&D ver:1.6.2.46 but it will not completely load the program to bring up the menu window - it just hangs and freezes my pc where I cannot even launch Task Manager to end it. I have to manually power my pc off.
I would like to completely uninstall/delete SS&D so I can do a clean re-install.
I have several versions on how to do this - one of them being: Open SS&D - Undo immunizations - uncheck Resident SD Helper - Resident Tea Timer - uncheck Miscellaneous locks, ....etc...) then remove via Add/Remove Programs - C:\Program Files\Spybot-Search & Destroy - C:\Documents and Settings\All users\application data\Spybot Search & Destroy.

My question and concern is: if I cannot launch SS&D to 'undo immunizations' etc. will removing it through Add/Remove Programs - C:\Program Files....
C:\Docs & Settings\All Users....completely rid my system of SS&D? so that I can do a clean reinstall of it?

Any help and suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Zenobia
2009-10-18, 23:23
Removing Spybot through add/remove programs will get rid of most of it,though Spybot doesn't undo the immunizations itself when being uninstalled,I don't believe.
There are just one or two files left in C:\Program Files\Spybot-Search & Destroy after removing Spybot through add/remove programs,so you wouldn't really need to bother deleting that,if you're planning to reinstall,unless you really want to.
As for C:\Documents and Settings\All users\application data\Spybot Search & Destroy,that contains backups of removed problems,so I don't recommend removing that unless you're completely sure you don't need those backups,in case of any false positives.

And,rather than uninstalling right yet,I wonder if you'd be willing to try to run Spybot in safe mode,instead,and see if it will load?
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm#02
If you'd like to try that,please let me know how it goes. :)

chukeej
2009-10-20, 03:49
Removing Spybot through add/remove programs will get rid of most of it,though Spybot doesn't undo the immunizations itself when being uninstalled,I don't believe.
There are just one or two files left in C:\Program Files\Spybot-Search & Destroy after removing Spybot through add/remove programs,so you wouldn't really need to bother deleting that,if you're planning to reinstall,unless you really want to.
As for C:\Documents and Settings\All users\application data\Spybot Search & Destroy,that contains backups of removed problems,so I don't recommend removing that unless you're completely sure you don't need those backups,in case of any false positives.

And,rather than uninstalling right yet,I wonder if you'd be willing to try to run Spybot in safe mode,instead,and see if it will load?
If you'd like to try that,please let me know how it goes. :)

Zen: Many thanks for ur reply. However, rather than trying to run Spybot in safe mode, I just went ahead and removed it thru Add/Remove Programs and C:\Program Files. I also deleted it from the Registry. I don't know what if any remnants is left on my pc after uninstalling it via this method, and whether by not 'undo(ing) immunizations' what are the consequences? does this mean that there are still some files left behind? If so, how do I completely remove any left-behind entries?
I would appreciate any further input in this matter.

Zenobia
2009-10-20, 05:05
You're welcome. :)
I remember Spybot removing something on it's own the last time I uninstalled it,but I can't remember just what that was.Anyhoo:

By leaving Spybot immunized,you wouldn't leave files from Spybot on your computer,it would just leave behind registry entries,the 127.0.0.1 entries in the hosts file,and Firefox and Opera immunization,if you have those installed.
More of an explanation on Immunization is here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281
(The hosts file protection has been added to immunization since the above post was made,but the explanation still suits.)
You could manually remove most immunization,but since you're reinstalling,it's not really worth the bother,since the program's wizard will just ask you if you want to immunize when you're installing.

Please let me know if Spybot will load ok after you get it reinstalled. :)

chukeej
2009-10-21, 21:14
I remember Spybot removing something on it's own the last time I uninstalled it,but I can't remember just what that was.Anyhoo:

By leaving Spybot immunized,you wouldn't leave files from Spybot on your computer,it would just leave behind registry entries,the 127.0.0.1 entries in the hosts file,and Firefox and Opera immunization,if you have those installed.
More of an explanation on Immunization is here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281
(The hosts file protection has been added to immunization since the above post was made,but the explanation still suits.)
You could manually remove most immunization,but since you're reinstalling,it's not really worth the bother,since the program's wizard will just ask you if you want to immunize when you're installing.

Please let me know if Spybot will load ok after you get it reinstalled. :)

As detailed in my previous post, I uninstalled SS&D via Add/Remove/Programs - C:\Program Files - Registry entry. Then I reinstalled it. I am having the very same problem. It will not finish loading, so I cannot access the menu. Funny thing tho' ...I notice Tea Timer is active in the system tray (running at startup)...yet SS&D wil not load. It freezes my pc (won't even bring up Ctrl alt del to end the program) and I have to manually shut down my pc.

Is 256 MB Ram not enough for this program? I still have approx. 29 GB available. What's with this SS&D problem?

I am again uninstalling SS&D through the same methods as I previously mentioned. I just don't know if those procedures will completely clear all the SS&D remnants from my pc. If you can possibly advise me of any further steps I need to take to remove any and all left-over SS&D files/folders I would very much appreciate it. I don't know if I want to try reinstalling it after all these problems. Thanks again for ur help.

Zenobia
2009-10-22, 11:05
I understand you wanted to clean install Spybot.But,in all honesty,I don't think that's going to help anything.
I suggest you try running it in safe mode first,instead,to see if it will load.

If it will load in safe mode,you can come back and tell me,and we can see what can be done from there.

Or,if you would rather uninstall,I suggest you try running it in safe mode also,and if it will load you could unimmunize the program,etc, from there.
This is easier than editing out the host file manually,etc. and worth trying.