PDA

View Full Version : Teatimer taking up 100MB of memory

DD025
2009-10-20, 18:54
As the title says, TeaTimer.exe seems to be taking up 100MBs of my RAM.

I noticed that it was this outrageously high after updating to the latest version yesterday (1.6.2.46). I can't remember if it was this high before.

So my question is: is this usual and, if so, can it be countered? Spybot S&D has helped tons of times, but if this can't be fixed I'll have to remove it D:

Thanks in advance.

spybotsandra
2009-10-21, 12:00
Hello,

When the computer is running for a long time without a standby, reboot, or shutdown memory consumption of a (refers to any) can slightly increase.

It's taking that much because TeaTimer is a Resident Shield that actively protects you from malware. I would suggest you reboot and see how it goes. Usually TeaTimer will take up 35-50MB of RAM. Seeing that modern PCs built today have more RAM and resources, 80 or 100MB should be nothing.

If this does not help you can disable TeaTimer as follows:
- Go into Spybot - Mode - Advanced Mode - Tools - Resident.
- Uncheck the following: Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

JonathanPDX
2009-11-12, 18:58
I rebooted, turned off everything and it's still taking 113,000K of memory. Then, when
I attempt to turn it off (kill it in Task Manager) it crashes. I've rebooted and tried it a
number of times and still the same result. I've never had this problem with TT before.

I've even stripped it completely out of the system, re-downloaded a fresh copy, and
re-installed it after a reboot...same thing. I mean, come on, guys...even Word isn't
that big a memory hog at startup, and that's saying a lot!

I tried it on another computer and it does the same thing as well. There are no infections,
viruses, malwares, etc. Something's just not right.

1st post...I know, but it's never been a problem before.

hyattjon
2009-11-16, 13:37
Having happily used spybot for years I am now in the same position, TeaTimer hogging a steady 113mb of ram.

Although in itself not a problem, it becomes a problem when I start working with other programs that need ram. My ram is not unlimited and its a pain to continually turn teatimer off and on again. I only need to open a few IE windows, check mail and then open Office to find TeaTimer becoming an intrusive problem both with ram AND cpu time.

And yes, I know all about running real-time protection and the resources it needs, but 113mb? Tack on Mbam and Norton to this and there goes 60% of ram just to run the OS, let alone use the PC productively!!

TeaTimer never did this before, so am I to presume from the many other threads of this subject that a newer version will cure this memory hogging issue?

honda12
2009-11-16, 23:05
Hello all,

Yes, teatimer's memory usage is a very fustrating situation for many users. I've mentioned this in another thread, but I'll once again explain here.

Unfortunately, a quick fix is most likely not going to happen since Spybot 2 is currently being developed (developer blog (http://forums.spybot.info/blog.php?u=1) and screenshots (http://forums.spybot.info/album.php?albumid=1)). As an alpha tester, I've brought up the issue, but all I can say is hopefully in Spybot 2 memory usage won't be a problem.

If teatimer is creating a large amount of frustration and is making your computer "sluggish", I would disable it. It's not a perfect solution I know, but as long as you stay careful on the internet I'm sure you'll avoid picking up an infection.

To disable teatimer just follow Sandra's advice above.

Regards,

honda

mtsen
2010-01-01, 10:54
i suspect that teatimer is incompatible with windows's own protection mechanism ? ie. a process started, windows check it, teatimer checks it, then windows check teatimer, then teatimer checks windows, win chk teatimer again .... like an infinite loop ?

steve40
2010-01-03, 04:52
As the title says, TeaTimer.exe seems to be taking up 100MBs of my RAM.

I had the same problem. The solution is quite simple:
-Turn off Teatimer.
-Reboot.
-Turn TeaTimer back on.
-Reboot.
No more problem.

BUT YOU MUST CLOSE DOWN TEATIMER PROPERLY (don't kill the process):
- Run "Spybot - Search & Destroy" AS ADMIN.
- In the "Tools" click the "Resident" submenu and uncheck "Resident TeaTimer".

After this fix TeaTimer is always less than 10Mb in size on my system, and has been good for several months now.

Good luck.

dandelion42
2010-01-16, 13:41
I had the same problem. The solution is quite simple:
-Turn off Teatimer.
-Reboot.
-Turn TeaTimer back on.
-Reboot.
No more problem.

Didn't work for me. TeaTimer still running at 100mb+ on startup.