PDA

View Full Version : Immunization Problem

firebrddriver
2009-10-28, 19:00
After downloading all of todays updates and then immunizing,,I get a message that says,,

Immunization Incomplete

3 items still unprotected,,there may be various reasons etc,,

The items are

Opera 7 owner cookies 3

First time I've ever had any problems immunizing anything and I'm wondering if it had anything to do with todays updates.

I have the latest spybot edition. Windows XP

spybotsandra
2009-10-29, 10:30
Hello,

Did you closed the browser while immunizing?
Did you try to undo the immunization and then immunize again?
Have you also used the "Check again" function from the menu bar above?
Are you logged in as admin or as user with admin rights?
Do you have other user accounts on your pc?
Do you have other security programs installed that might block the immunization?
Do you have a screenshot of the immunization page?

Also have a look at this link (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=36272) in our forum.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

bobreeves
2009-10-29, 14:22
Exactly the same problem. Using XP w/latest patches, latest version of Spybot. Never seen this before, and I DO NOT use or have installed Opera.

bobreeves
2009-10-29, 14:41
Screen shot attached.

Gopher John
2009-10-29, 14:47
The immunization issue with Opera has been reported before.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=51388

and

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=51797

Cookies are not immunized, yet in Opera the cookie immunizations that existed before Opera 10 remain. SpyBot Search & Destroy shows 0 protected out of 196 immunizations on it's Opera cookie line, but the summary at the top show 0 unprotected while the protected sums are not equal.

This issue remains in Opera 10.01. This was first reported on September 2nd. I hope the fix will be in SpyBot Search & Destroy 2.

bobreeves
2009-10-29, 14:58
The immunization issue with Opera has been reported before.

Getting this without Opera installed, so I don't see how it's the same issue.

Gopher John
2009-10-29, 17:20
Getting this without Opera installed, so I don't see how it's the same issue.

Since firebrddriver has the issue with Opera, it is THE issue.:laugh:

If you don't have Opera installed, you can't have the same issue that the original poster of this thread outlined.

firebrddriver
2009-10-29, 19:15
My screen shot is almost identical to "bobreeves",,which shows the 3 cookies from Opera as not being immunized,,the funny thing is I never installed Opera and if I go to "Program Files" in the "C" drive and open the Opera folder there's absolutly nothing in there,,also if I go to the "add or delete programs" there's no Opera listed either. So does that mean Opera isn't even on my computer? I did an undo of the immunizations and the 3 cookies from Opera still show as unprotected. Theres a total of 195 owner cookies,,which 3 are unprotected. Nothing has changed from the last spybot updates the previous week as far as my computer goes except for any updates in my anti virus (avast) and whatever microsoft might have updated. Let me ask this as a computer notice,,if these 3 cookies remain unprotected,,does that put me at a risk for anything??? Sorry if I don't sound very intelligent on this matter but as I said I don't know much about computers.

firebrddriver
2009-10-29, 19:37
I searched the site for the information on how to do it without any luck,,but if you require a screen shot ,can you tell me how to do it,,or point me in the right direction for instuctions,,,thanks. As I stated in my previous post,,my screen shot is alomost identical to bobbreeves.

Gopher John
2009-10-29, 20:03
The Opera profile resides on WinXP by default in C:\Documents and Settings\John\Application Data\Opera\Opera. My Windows account username is John, and there are 5 other windows user account on this machine. Replace John with your Windows username.

For some reason, SpyBot Search & Destroy has always only shown the immunizations of Opera for the current active user. This causes me to have to log in to each Windows user to immunize Opera, except since Opera 10 cookies are no longer immunized.:sad:

If Opera has never been installed, I wonder what could have created the profiles that SpyBot Search & Destroy is obviously finding.

firebrddriver
2009-10-29, 22:20
In reply to Gopher Johns post,,I'm the only user of the computer so I found the Opera in the,,,C/documents and settings/owners/application data/opera,,I don't understand about changing a name as theres no name associated except "ower",,should I rename owner to something else??? But,,to ask again,,if I can't get this to immunize these 3 cookies will my computer be at risk for anything. Is there anyway without me screwing things up to try to uninstall Opera if thats even possible??? I'm not looking to do anything technical that I'm not good at,,my biggest concern is any risks these cookies pose. BTW the Opera folder says it was modified on 12/15/2005,,maybe I did install something but I sure don't remember,,,but,,until this weeks update every cookie in the opera was immunized. This is the first time I've had any problems with the immunization of anything.

bobreeves
2009-10-29, 22:27
Sure enough, there was an Opera directory under my userID - noplace else.

Obviously at some time during the history of this machine I must have installed and uninstalled Opera - don't know how else it could have gotten there.

In any case, delete the entire Opera directory - problem solved. I did not have any other instances (or users) but if I had, would have dumped them too.

It is still a mystery to me why - when I update Spybot regularly - and have not used Opera since I can remember - Spybot would all of a sudden pick up 3 suspicious Opera cookies.

Water under the bridge now in any case.

Gopher John
2009-10-29, 23:17
@firebrddriver

No need to rename anything. I was just trying to point you to the profile which you found. If Opera is not installed, you can delete the Opera folder if you want.

@bobreeves

It is still a mystery to me why - when I update Spybot regularly - and have not used Opera since I can remember - Spybot would all of a sudden pick up 3 suspicious Opera cookies.

SpyBot S&D's Opera cookie immunization increased from 193 to 196 with the 2009-10-28 update. The cookies were not found in the profile, instead the 3 new cookies couldn't be immunized.

What puzzles me is that for me the Opera cookies issue only presented itself after updating to Opera 10.:confused: Something is truly quirky with the way SpyBot Search & Destroy interacts with Opera, since you'd remember Opera 10. It's only been out a few months.

Hopefully, SpyBot S&D 2 will solve these little niggles. It's not a big deal, as it's only cookies.

Glad you got it sorted for youself.

firebrddriver
2009-10-30, 00:17
Quick question,,if I had installed Opera at some point,,and then un-installed it (as I can't find anything in my programs folder or my "add or remove" in my control panel),,is this all something i shouldn't even be worried about??? Being a computer novice even something as small as this worries me.

Gopher John
2009-10-30, 00:32
Quick question,,if I had installed Opera at some point,,and then un-installed it (as I can't find anything in my programs folder or my "add or remove" in my control panel),,is this all something i shouldn't even be worried about??? Being a computer novice even something as small as this worries me.

If you have no other traces of Opera other that the profile folder, the Opera immunizations are of no concern. OTOH, loss of memory as to whether you did install and then remove Opera could be a medical concern.:laugh: We all have our moments.;)

If you are surfing as Admin, I'd be more concerned about that, from a security standpoint. Better to surf as a limited Windows user.

firebrddriver
2009-10-30, 00:53
OK just found something interesting,,,In the Opera folder under "profile" I noticed some cookies,,I sent them to my re-cycle bin and then re-immunized and the unprotected cookies for Opera now says "0",,I then restored the deleted cookies back to the folder and tried to immunize and the 3 unprotected cookies showed up again...can I just send these back to the recycle bin ,,empty it,,and not expect any problems???,,I don't want to delete them until I know I won't screw something up,,,,thanks for all your help.

firebrddriver
2009-10-31, 00:11
Anyone have any suggestions as to my last post,,thanks.

firebrddriver
2009-11-01, 01:59
Was wondering if anyone can reply to my latest post about the cookies I found,,and I was never told if I'm at risk for anything if they remain,,anybody???

firebrddriver
2009-11-02, 14:51
Sorry to be a pain but can anyone answer my question,,,thanks

spybotsandra
2009-11-02, 16:43
Hello,

That is a little bug which should be fixed with our next updates, which are released on Wednesday.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

firebrddriver
2009-11-02, 19:39
Thank you Sandra,,I'll let you know how I make out after Wed. updates.

firebrddriver
2009-11-04, 16:29
Many thanks to the spybot team,,all the opera cookies were immunized after this weeks updates!!!!

Xyw13
2009-12-02, 13:51
Hello guys. I have some problem with immunization.
I use Opera 9.64, 9.64 portable, Opera 10 (different PCs). OS: Win XP SP2 and SP3.

The problem is: After I immunize, spybot puts many cookies in the cookie cache. I can't get rid of them with: "Delete private data" function, I had to delete them manually. After that, spybot shows there are 193 cookies that require immunization. WTF? What cookies? They were deleted!
I hit immunize again and there are these same cookies put in my cookies cache again (spybot shows 0). They remain there even after closing Opera. IF I delete them again and don't immunize them (I immunize, and then delete cookies, so only 193 are shown) they won't appear again. Unless I immunize. And I immunize after each update. It is bothersome to me.
I found out, they are stored in: \Program Files\Opera\profile\cookies4.dat (in portable version) and in \Documents & Settings\%username%\Opera\profile\cookies4.dat (in normal Opera). <- This is for all profiles.

Any suggestions? Is it a bug, feature or something completely different?

Gopher John
2009-12-02, 17:35
@Xyw13
The 193 entries that you think are cookies are actually the immunizations. When you manually delete them in Opera, you are removing the cookie immunizations, not cookies. That is why removing Privata Data in Opera leaves these immunizations alone, as it knows these entries aren't actually cookies at all.

Xyw13
2009-12-02, 21:39
@Xyw13
The 193 entries that you think are cookies are actually the immunizations. When you manually delete them in Opera, you are removing the cookie immunizations, not cookies. That is why removing Privata Data in Opera leaves these immunizations alone, as it knows these entries aren't actually cookies at all.
I don't get it. These cookies/immunizations are from sites, I've never been before, there are even sites (I googled) considered malicious. Can you make it more clear please?

Gopher John
2009-12-02, 23:00
You don't have to visit sites for SpyBot Search & Destroy to immunize them. I haven't visited those sites either. What you are seeing are NOT cookies, but the immunizations against them. FWIW, I also haven't visited the 12,452 sites that are in the hosts file, either.:laugh:

I also run IE8 and Firefox 3.5.5. Those same 193 cookie immunizations are also in those browsers. It's just that the exceptions(immunizations) in Firefox are shown in a different way than the cookies that I actually have accepted, so it's easier to see the difference. IE8 also is easier to distinguish between cookies that are set and the immunizations by SpyBot Search & Destroy. Opera's interface for cookies is somewhat clunky.

The immunizations are blocking the browser from accepting cookies from those sites.

biggmbb
2010-07-02, 18:57
After immunizing my unprotected was zero but my protected value was less than the total. How can that be? Version 1.6.2.46, updated, W7.

Gopher John
2010-07-02, 20:14
After immunizing my unprotected was zero but my protected value was less than the total. How can that be? Version 1.6.2.46, updated, W7.

If you have Opera 10.xx installed, then the difference is likely in it's Cookies immunization. SpyBot Search & Destroy cannot immunize those since Opera changed their scheme.