PDA

View Full Version : Right Media cookie

IRESREG
2009-11-12, 12:24
When I run Spypot, it picks up something called Right Media, identified as "cookie:tien@ad.yielmanager.com/()". I don't know what it is but Spypot highlights it in red, so it looks pretty serious. I could never remove it permanently. It keeps coming back. And it seems that after it is removed, my internet browser can run faster.

I don't know if it is a serious spyware thing or not. Can someone please advise me?

Many thanks, Tien.

mavchen
2009-11-12, 12:59
Hello,

RightMedia, YieldManager, Doubleclick (and others like Advertising.com, Avenue A, Inc, CasaleMedia, Fastclick, Hitbox, Mediaplex etc.) are so-called tracking cookies. It is quite common for popular websites to employ such tracking cookies from third parties. They use them in order to track the users' surfing habits on their websites. As I said, these cookies are from third parties but they are employed by the site. There is a tool in Spybot-S&D: BrowserHelper, i.e. a bad download blocker for Internet Explorer. With this tool enabled such tracking cookies will be blocked. In order to activate this tool, please run Spybot-S&D and go to the "Tools"->"Resident" page. Checking the checkbox in front of SDHelper will enable the BrowserHelper.

Now open the Tools menu in your Internet Explorer and choose 'Spybot - Search Destroy Configuration'.
There you will find a drop down menu which will appear giving you some options.
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd15/index.html (3rd picture)
You should select "Block all bad pages silently".
With that option set the notifications will no longer come up, but you will still have the protection.
Further choose "Spybot-S&D->Immunize" from the navigation bar on the left.
Now the baddies are blocked.

Best Regards
Meik
Team Spybot

IRESREG
2009-11-12, 14:56
Thanks Meik

tien

IRESREG
2009-11-18, 14:38
Hi Meik and others

I did exactly what Meik explained but "Right Media" is back again. The problem is quite severe, as Internet Explorer sometimes slows down and stops working. I have to restart the whole new session again.

I am so sad ..... Don't know how to get rid of this problem, very annoying problem. I run windows 7, 64 bit. Can anyone help please?

Thanks
tien

Matt
2009-11-18, 15:58
Hi tien,

Hi Meik and others

I did exactly what Meik explained but "Right Media" is back again. The problem is quite severe, as Internet Explorer sometimes slows down and stops working. I have to restart the whole new session again.

I am so sad ..... Don't know how to get rid of this problem, very annoying problem. I run windows 7, 64 bit. Can anyone help please?

Thanks
tien
maybe this will help you:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=317669&postcount=2

IRESREG
2009-11-27, 02:24
Thanks Matt

I will try it out.

Regards
tien