PDA

View Full Version : DELL PC w/Vista is new but do I need help here?

jkdood
2009-11-17, 10:55
I got a new DELL PC (Vostro A840 laptop) with Vista Home basic, as a gift. I already have a SONY VAIO with (I sure do hate the OS) VISTA - going on 2 years - but hey, a gift is a gift.

Just for socially polite background I will say I was going to run side by side tests to see if my SONY was bloated, or sick, or my ISP or LAN too slow, or whatever to see if maybe the SONY was ready for a vacation and the DELL maybe to be his replacement. In other words I was going to compare.

On the DELL after my first limited-activity boot-up I pretty much first tried to ignore or cancel Google Desktop and ToolBar stuff, did a display setting change, then joined my wireless LAN and then did a quick IE7 browse to see if all was operable (OK that included XTUBE), and allowed it to upload and install IE8, which it did. I also noticed "updates were waiting" flag next to the hibernate with sessions in memory button.

After IE8 upgrade was done, it asked me to restart, and I tried to. On that restart and on a dozen more I have tried while checking logs and things, I keep getting some of this craziness:
explorer.exe application error the instruction at "the memory could not be read" restart

The above are the keywords from my google searches to read up on this error condition. Basically it's the "the memory could not be read" error that seems to have been posted about by hundreds of upset users. "explorer.exe" seems to be the most common application associated with the error but there are others.

By the way, I stopped to upload and install the entire McAfee software suite which is free to all COMCAST ISP subscribers and which I have been using on my other laptop. It did not detect any issues to report.

One of the longest active threads in this Forum's MALWARE sub-forum is about someone with an unexplainable error almost exactly like this getting hours and tons of help from one of the member experts. But like hundreds of other threads on this topic or simlar variations, there is no reliable full-proof known solution. It seems to occur in XP as well as VISTA and not only on DELL although DELL seems to be a major victim.

In the middle of all this of course my updates configured and installed, and I had to wait while it said "don't turn off your PC etc etc". Those updates seem to be a reasonably frequent mix-in with a lot of the posted reports of this particular error.

I realize I can download Spybot and other tools and run tests and start a thread with the log and try to get that sort of help. My question is, does that make "perfect sense" at this stage?

What I mean is that I assume I can call DELL and start my warranty free-help period and possibly be put through to the OEM-department of Microsoft for VISTA help if DELL helpers determine it's an OS issue not a h/w problem. We all know how painful certain help-desks can be and we know they will suggest virus amd malware and other things.

It seemed so sensible to try to share this experience because the guy being helped by BLADE in MALWARE right now (for days and days) and others here and elsewhere all have a variation of this error message and are getting nowhere. And boy oh boy the hours and the tedious tests and debugs make you cry with sympathy and also fear!

As a new user I was willing to reinstall my system and do other (approved, safe?) remedial things to help find a remedy and explanation. I have no data or programs to lose yet!

Although the restart (chosen) after the clean McAfee virus scan was the only time the error did not occur, it is still happening. Even after reboot. The error is of course exactly this:

explorer.exe application error
The instruction at 0x760284fd referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read.
Click on OK to terminate the program.

In the background one sees:
explorer.exe - This program is preventing your computer from restarting
explorer.exe - Application Error
(After clicking OK or X the restart occurs and seems to be OK for business until of course anotrher restart is chosen".)

Comments and general advice please? Thank you!

tashi
2009-11-17, 17:41
Hello jkdood,

One of the longest active threads in this Forum's MALWARE sub-forum is about someone with an unexplainable error almost exactly like this getting hours and tons of help from one of the member experts. But like hundreds of other threads on this topic or simlar variations, there is no reliable full-proof known solution. It seems to occur in XP as well as VISTA and not only on DELL although DELL seems to be a major victim.

Please provide a link to the topic you are referring to.

By the way, I stopped to upload and install the entire McAfee (http://forums.spybot.info/vbglossar.php?do=showentry&item=McAfee) software suite which is free to all COMCAST ISP subscribers and which I have been using on my other laptop.

Did the computer have security protection, anti virus etc, previously? Please list.

Are you using McAfee's firewall and if so did you disable Vista's native firewall?

Best regards.

jkdood
2009-11-17, 23:18
Hi,
I do not know how to post a link to another post,
but this is the malware subforum post I was referring to:

Worst virus (malware?) I've ever had .... ( 1 2 3)
dsc123

Yes, I think native firewall was active when i installed McAfee and activated its firewall as well. the problems were occuring before mcAfee was installed.

For the few (minutes of) transactions between first time using and going to the Net and doing a test and then IE8 upgrade and then to comcast.net and downloading and installing McAfee suite, there was only whatever native protections may have existed, no AV that I am aware of.

Thanks.

tashi
2009-11-18, 01:11
Hello jkdood,

Yes, I think native firewall was active when i installed McAfee and activated its firewall as well. the problems were occuring before mcAfee was installed.

If you do have two resident firewalls enabled you should disable one now or system instability may result.

I got a new DELL PC (Vostro A840 laptop) with Vista Home basic, as a gift.

For the few (minutes of) transactions between first time using and going to the Net and doing a test and then IE8 upgrade and then to comcast.net and downloading and installing McAfee suite, there was only whatever native protections may have existed, no AV that I am aware of.

I have seen people infected within minutes on the net when they had no security programs installed. Had the new computer been used at all by someone else beforehand? Usually a brand new Dell would have trial subscription security software already factory installed.

The malware forum thread you referred to has been made difficult to diagnose because tools were run before assistance was requested.

then joined my wireless LAN and then did a quick IE7 browse to see if all was operable (OK that included XTUBE)
I'd suggest you start your own topic in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22) after reading this: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Best regards. :)

jkdood
2009-11-18, 01:59
Thank you!

jkdood
2009-11-18, 13:11
Hi I been thinking (can you smell the steam?)

Yes there may be some malware and the tact suggested makes sense, thanks.

And I guess you've rightly felt it would not be useful or prudent to open a new PC problem under warranty ticket with DELL right now and hope MS gets involved in a non-Virus helpful remedial way:-)

But if you don't mind a follow-up question, what is your (or anyone's) opinion on the immediate value of simply doing a reinstall or repairInstall of the OS using the DELL CD? Is that likely to undo even malware or undeteced virus? Thats maybe a general question. Of course a format c: will undo LOTS but will such an effort as above be likely to UNDO malware damage? Or might things get WORSE??

I am mostly just curious, but as I have NO DATA to lose, I don't mind trying it if it is sensible. Thanks!

tashi
2009-11-18, 15:57
Hello jkdood,

And I guess you've rightly felt it would not be useful or prudent to open a new PC problem under warranty ticket with DELL right now and hope MS gets involved in a non-Virus helpful remedial way:-)
I didn't say that. :p:

Had the new computer been used at all by someone else beforehand? Usually a brand new Dell would have trial subscription security software already factory installed.

But if you don't mind a follow-up question, what is your (or anyone's) opinion on the immediate value of simply doing a reinstall or repairInstall of the OS using the DELL CD? Is that likely to undo even malware or undeteced virus?

A reformat would remove malware however no one can verify or dismiss if an infection is present or the cause of the problems you have experienced without taking a look at the system. A log would provide an initial analysis.

Best regards.

jkdood
2009-11-19, 04:45
Thanks again for your time and effort. I hope others find this interesting too, as do I.

By intentional habit, I always remove all aspects traces images and shortcuts and intended inits of both AOL and Norton on a new computer, I hate them both and of course with FREE McAfee full security suite from Comcast I wouldn't need Norton trial. I probably did that without thinking and certainly didn't think to mention it. It was a few weeks before my first start-up and then my attempted using of the PC for more than a few minutes, sorry.

I have no real expertise in this arena but I tend to think the many auto-updates of Windows that surfaced quickly as soon as I was ON the Net is related to this error message and problem I have, from my readings of several other report posts.

IF I do reinstall, simply because I am more interested in a clean PC than finding out the root cause of the evil if it does not reoccur, I think I will first thing turn off WAU auto updating, and see how things work for awhile. Next up would be McAfee install (after turning off WINDOWS Firewall) then IE7 to IE8 upgrade, then report back here:-)

Thanks.