PDA

View Full Version : Teatimer in Terminal Services

mlabonte
2006-06-23, 17:55
Hey everyone,

Wondering if anyone has a clue about this:
Running a Win2k3 Terminal Server.

I installed Spybot on all of our clients, and used TeaTimer because of a Qoologic infection that showed us we needed registry protection. On most of the servers, I was suprised... it went into the server, and only showed the pop-ups on the admin account... But still protected from changes. I was very pleased. However on one server, it detected a quicktime change and now runs in every session. SEVERLY bogging down performance, and providing pop-ups our clients were never meant to see.

Any ideas?

mlabonte
2006-06-27, 15:30
I figured out my own problem here. Just in case anyone else runs into this:

The problem lies in how you install Spybot. If you put the server into install mode, it populates out to every user. Now normally it's not a big deal, and even preferable. However with Spybot it changes where the TeaTimer registry entry is placed. Instead of HKCU it places it under HKU, causing EVERY user to open their own instance of TeaTimer. Which of course when you have 30-100 users severely degrades performance, and leads to instability. If you are unwilling to un-install/re-install simply edit your registry. Remove it from HKU and place it in HKCU.