PDA

View Full Version : 1.6.2. updater doesn't seem to work

John Space
2009-11-19, 11:09
Good morning.

I'm a newbie and this is my first time, so please have mercy if I make a mistake :)

Yesterday I installed 1.6.2. and noticed a couple of things: first, that every time I click on "Search for updates" the program shows a window saying "Please select some file from the list". I know that this program shows a window with the list of available updates and that that "select some file" only appears when you haven't selected any update, so I wonder if it is a bug or is it my mistake?

Second: I just made the program search for problems and minimized the window; once it finished the minimized window disappeared. Does the program do this when it doesn't find any problem?

Thank you for your patience!

spybotsandra
2009-11-19, 11:18
Hello,

It seems to be a problem with the compatibility under Windows Vista.
You can solve the problem as follows:

Download this new SDUpdate.exe (http://www.spybotupdates.biz/files/beta/SDUpdate.exe-1.6.1.19.zip#hash(md5:A0E7FDF5E87CCE18C46C6B6676996FFA).

To use this beta file, extract the downloaded archive into the main application folder (usually C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\) and replace the old file with the new one.

If this does not help go to your SDUpdate.exe file in your program folder: 
C:\Program Files\ Spybot - Search & Destroy\

Rightclick the file and choose properties.
Then choose the tab compatibilty.
There activate the checkbox in front of "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select from the drop down menu "WindowsXP". Now click "Apply" and "OK".

That should fix the problem.

This problem has also been discussed in our forum (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=296467#post296467).

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

John Space
2009-11-19, 11:29
Thank you Sandra! I looked for the term "updater" before asking but didn't find it related to my problem, so I had to take the risk and open a new thread.