PDA

View Full Version : spyware doctor google pack edition vs. spybot search and destroy

user777
2009-11-22, 20:38
hi,

i used spyware doctor google pack edition (which is limited in its functionality) for the last two years.

the last 3 or 4 months i have been using spybot search and destroy after i reinstalled vista and after this, upgraded to windows 7 home premium 32bit, and it works fine.

i dont want to pay for security software (therefore i used in the past spyware doctor google pack edition), i use http://www.free-av.com from avira and spybot search and destroy, both latest up to date versions with definition files.

my system is clean. :D:

my question is, is spybot search and destroy offering me the same (or almost the same) functionality like spyware doctor google pack edition. which one has better detection rates.

can i disregard spyware doctor google pack edition, i am satisfied with spybot search and destroy.

i do safer surfing.

i am thinking of donating to spybot search and destroy after using it a year from june 2009 on.

a little fee.

thank you

Tom.K
2009-11-22, 21:21
my question is, is spybot search and destroy offering me the same (or almost the same) functionality like spyware doctor google pack edition. which one has better detection rates.
As far I have saw here: pack.google.com (http://pack.google.com/), it's almost same functionality. However, spybot doesn't have anti-virus protection (for now). It has resident protection TeaTimer, but it can take more memory sometime. The future Spybot 2.0 will probably improve that.

honda12
2009-11-22, 21:46
Hi user777,

The best person to answer your questions is you. You've tried both applications, so you'll know which application is best serving your needs.

On the antivirus side of things, I do not know how good Spyware Doctor is (the application doesn't seem to be included in AV Comparatives (http://av-comparatives.org/)), but Avira Anti-virus is definately a good pick.

Hope that helps,

honda

user777
2009-11-22, 21:46
hi tom.k,

google pack does not offer spyware doctor anymore. i have just visited http://pack.google.com

spyware doctor google pack edition detects viruses but cant remove viruses because of limited functionality (google pack edition).

i will not change a running system. i like spybot search and destroy, maybe i donate beginning of december 09.

i saw your system configuration tom.k and the security software is the same as i have installed on my laptop.

i dont have additional firewall software and use free av too and spybot s&d. all latest versions.

your security software configuration confirmed my security software configuration.

bye bye

user777
2009-11-22, 22:18
Hi user777,

The best person to answer your questions is you. You've tried both applications, so you'll know which application is best serving your needs.

On the antivirus side of things, I do not know how good Spyware Doctor is (the application doesn't seem to be included in AV Comparatives (http://av-comparatives.org/)), but Avira Anti-virus is definately a good pick.

Hope that helps,

honda

hi honda,

you are right, the best person which can answer the question is me.

i dont use spyware doctor no more for about 3 - 4 months.

it detected viruses (or was it trojans in) a *.cab file on my hd which was a big file from the vista dvd which i ordered from my laptop vendor. it detected a few more things which had to do with hp additional software (e.g for the buttons on my laptop e.g. lower the volume, or play, stop.)

(some of the additional software from hp was coded in python programming language and there was a blowfish encryption code in the python *.pyd or was it *.pyc file and spyware doctor detected it, i thought of false positive so i did not deleted the python file, because others deleted the file and the application did not work properly anymore)

whenever spyware doctor was running (whenever i activated or deactivated it with msconfig.exe) the application and the services running,

and i was running ccleaner to clean up internet activities of firefox, it detected the trojan.vb.generic or something like that (maybe trojan.generic.vb)

i never visited sites with viruses or trojans, i did not downloaded any virus or trojan.

i thought of spyware doctor having issues with DoD Secure Erasing method of ccleaner,

it does not happened anytime spyware doctor detected the trojan mentioned above when i run ccleaner,

but when i used firefox a lot, lets say 40 - 50 mb cache full and cleaned it with ccleaner spyware doctor popped up the message a trojan is in my firefox cache directory allthough i did not downloaded anything malicious or visited infected sites.

the last thing i can remember of spyware doctor application in use is lsp (layered service provider) which was deactivated in the google pack edition.

there where some more things i can remember of the application in use, but its not important anymore, i dont hanker for something that was limited in its functionality, (hope that "hanker" was the right word (similiar to yearn), i am no american or australian or great britain, my language is german).

sorry for this long topic.

bye