PDA

View Full Version : Spybot Folder Appears on Startup

JorgeA
2009-11-27, 04:40
Hello,

The other day I recommended Spybot S&D to my father, who uses a Windows XP computer. He accepted my recommendation as a further layer of defense in addition to Norton 360, and installed Spybot 1.6.2.

Unfortunately, since then, every time he starts up his computer, toward the end of the loading process a window automatically opens showing the contents of the Spybot program folder!?!? Closing that window is yet one more thing to do before getting down to business (or fun). He's getting really annoyed at this, and wants to uninstall Spybot altogether. I spent an hour at the computer trying to figure out how to disable this "feature," and no change that looked plausible seemed to make any difference.

Why does this happen? Can you provide step-by-step instructions for making things so that this window doesn't open up?

Thank you.

spybotsandra
2009-11-27, 12:23
Hello,

Please try if it makes any change by deleting the TeaTimer.exe from the system startup entries.
Open Spybot in the advanced mode via the menu item mode, go to 'Tools'->'System Startup'.
Then mark the entry and remove it:
C:\Programms\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

JorgeA
2009-11-28, 02:07
Thanks Sandra, we'll try that.

Just one question, though: If we remove TeaTimer, won't that decrease the amount of protection given by Spybot?

--Jorge