PDA

View Full Version : Virus prevents access to most programs

AlexaSD
2009-11-29, 22:36
My husband allowed the virus scanner (avast) to expire on his laptop so he was unprotected. Surprisingly enough, this resulted in a massive virus issue! I can access very few programs. everything else results in a small screen that states that said program is infected and asks if I want to run a virus scan program called "antivirus system pro" that i am sure i don't have. Occasionally what i believe to be a fake message pops up in the lower right corner of the screen that says "infiltration alert" and states that the computer is receiving an attack and asks if i want to block it. The issue is that the computer has been taken offline, so I have trouble believing it is receiving a port attack.

I finally managed to get avast working, but I cannot update it, and a thorough virus scan resulted in nothing. Moreover, Windows is still telling me that I have no virus protection. The continuous protection avast provides will not activate.

IE keeps popping up every few seconds trying to access infected websites.

I am not capable of initiating HJT or Erunt or Taskmanager. Is the computer totally screwed? What should I do (aside from killing my husband)?

AlexaSD
2009-11-30, 19:36
FYI, you can close this topic. I followed some instructions I found on Bleeping Computer.com and the issue seems to be gone. Thank you for your time.