PDA

View Full Version : Do not delete important files!!

AGGROxp
2009-12-03, 08:16
I'm not affiliated with Safer-Networking nor Avast but am a customer of both. I believe Avast really screwed the pooch on this one... As of 12/03/09 CST, Avast Antivirus Database Update (VPS: 091203-0, 12/03/2009), is FUBAR. You would think Avast would have been a bit more proactive on rolling out updates.. It seems this update to the virus database for Avast Antivirus, is labeling everything related to Spybot, as a trojan (Win32:Delf-MZG). I've had 5 files labeled and the number is still growing... (VOL_TO~1.DLL, teatimer.exe, advcheck.dll, SDHELPER.DLL and SpybotSD.exe) I've also been seeing threads popping up on other forums, that it's also labeling system files as being infected as well. In turn some users are quarantining and deleting these files, which in turn are causing there systems to crash, hang and fail. For the meantime I would suggest not deleting any of the files that are legitimate resource files for Spybot or other programs you know to be safe, ESPECIALLY system files.. Safer Networking, you guys need to jump on board and start issuing statements before you start losing customers, as 95% of the alerts, are targeting spybot resource files and executables as trojans. I've also opened a ticket with Avast who is NOT being proactive in publicly adressing this...

AGGROxp
2009-12-03, 08:45
Avast has responded and issued a fix. Immediately update your iAVS from the previous version which has the issue: 091203-0, to the updated fix: 091203-1. Then update the program itself, from version: 4.8.1356, to the updated version: 4.8.1368. Restart your computer.

AGGROxp
2009-12-03, 09:54
UPDATE TO VPS:091203-1

Right-click on your avast antivirus icon on your taskbar, highlight "Updating". Update the iAVS first to version 091203-1, then update the Program. Restart your computer upon completion. This should clear any future alerts and remove the target files from the definitions, that were added by version 091203-0.

RESTORE QUARANTINED FILES USED BY SPYBOT

If you've quarantined any files because of the malicious update (091203-0), after updating and rebooting, start Avast and open the quarantine chest. Scan the files that are quarantined to make certain the update was successful (You should get a message out to the right of the file, stating "--No Virus--". Right-click the file and choose restore. Restore any files relating to spybot and then run spybot to make certain.