PDA

View Full Version : If the mountain won't come to Muhammad...

JorgeA
2009-12-13, 19:24
...then Muhammad must go to the mountain.

Hello,

I posted last week with a question concerning how to install the Spybot updates file by hand on a sick computer that no longer has Internet access.

Nothing that was proposed (all of which I tried) led to the successful completion of a scan -- at best, Spybot would get almost to the end of its scan and then go no further, ultimately crashing with an "illegal operation" message.

So, having no success in putting a completely up-to-date and fully functional copy of Spybot on the old computer, I did the next best thing, and copied the entire contents of my old PC's C: drive (7 GB) to a USB flash drive, then used Spybot on my current PC to scan that. (If the mountain won't come to Muhammad....)

I know that this is not a perfect image of the old computer, but it's the best I could come up with in a jiffy. Anyway, the scan revealed one Trojan, AdDestination. (See attachment.)

As far as what I can tell from a Web search, this doesn't appear to be a particularly dangerous item, but I do have two questions for anybody willing to (patiently) apply their expertise:

1) The Trojan seems to be embedded in an Adobe file, WHA Library.dll. Can I have Spybot fix the Trojan on the flash drive, then copy the fixed file (or its entre folder) back to the sick PC -- and have the Adobe program continue to work? Or (which seems less likely), can I simply delete that particular file altogether from the Adobe folder on the old PC, and have Adobe keep working?

2) Could this Trojan really be causing my computer to slow down and freeze up after a period of general computing, or (especially) to choke when I try to run Spybot on it?

Thank you in advance for anyone willing to share their knowledge with someone who never before had to dig so deeply into his computer or security software.

--JorgeA

TreborG2
2010-02-02, 15:48
Just an FYI ... it would have been far better for you, and still is, and anyone else getting to this message... that if you have a second computer available, that you take the hard drive *OUT* of the infected PC, and then scan it from the working pc.

Even if your "working" pc is a laptop .. you can buy (on line and in many local computer stores) for less than 20 dollars a USB to ATA adapter (both PATA & SATA). Otherwise, there are converts for desktop PC's to add the other type of drive if not currently supported by the other machine's motherboard

PCI based add-on cards are generally available for less than 20 (many el-cheap-o's for less than 10!) dollars...

JorgeA
2010-02-02, 17:28
Thanks very much for the information, Trebor. I may try that.

It's been a while since the original post. Ultimately I managed to put an up-to-date copy of avast! on the old PC using the same kind of two-step method (download the program on the new computer to a CD, put the CD in the old computer and run the installation). Avast! didn't find anything bad, but Spybot still isn't finishing its scans.

By the way, your suggestion reminds me of something funny that happened when I bought my new PC a year ago, when the old PC was acting up. Time came to move the data from the Windows 98 computer to the Vista machine, and the 20-something EasyTech guys at Staples couldn't figure out how to connect my ancient hard drive to the new PC. (I didn't get to watch them closely, but it must involve the same sort of idea you had.) They were fumbling about till the semi-retired 60ish tech walked by, saw what was going on, and showed them how to do it in a couple of minutes. Score one for experience!