PDA

View Full Version : Uninstall Spybot 1.4...PLEASE HELP.

elliepants
2009-12-16, 04:27
I use my computer everyday and couldn't live comfortably without it but I don't know anything about how this tech-y stuff works. I need some serious help.

Here goes:

Computer is just over 3 years old. Running Windows XP (nothing fancy). Downloaded Spybot 1.4 about 2 years ago (I'm guessing) and several months ago upgraded without uninstalling the first one.

Trying NOW to upgrade & renew my PC cillin subscription but it said I have to uninstall Spybot. Fine. Went to Control Panel and there were 2 listed. The newer one uninstalled just fine. The 1.4 version is really pissing me off. This is the message I am getting:

File "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\unins000.dat" does not exist. Cannot uninstall.

Found a thread from 2007 by "Sandra, Team Spybot" but the instructions just lead me here and there is no link to download a "very small fix" to get rid of the damn thing.

Then I found another message (still part of the Spybot site) saying that unins000.dat is very outdated and a ".exe" is better. No idea what that's all about.

According to my start menu (where I used to access Spybot) I no longer have it installed, although there are several folders that say I DO have it...

SO, here I am with no way to download a program that apparently doesn't exist, preventing me from installing an antivirus program that I desperately need. I had to uninstall the old version to install the new version and now I have NOTHING.

By the way, I DID try deleting all the Spybot folders hidden around the computer as instructed by the "Sandra" post but I am still being asked to uninstall Spybot 1.4...which is proving impossible. I just restored the files a few minutes ago in case they are needed when one of you lovely computer-savvy techno-geniuses figure out how to help me. I'm sooo frustrated!

HELP!
Elizabeth

drragostea
2009-12-18, 02:29
Do not worry Elliepants. I have the solution.

I recalled that the "small fix" that SpybotSandra referred to was a tweak to remove the remaining registry entries for Spybot... except it was removed primarily because the newer builds of Spybot (maybe 1.5.x-1.6.x) automatically remove themselves from the registry... so the small fixes are what I would call redundant.

The error message you are receiving is probably because the uninstaller is missing. What I would suggest you do is to reinstall (this will overlap your current build and thus replacing the missing uninstall file) your current build of Spybot (1.4.x) and then uninstall it.

http://filehippo.com/download_spybot_search_destroy/

Assuming you have version 1.4.x, you should download that version from Filehippo, and then uninstall it.

After your Trend Micro installation has completed, you can reinstall Spybot.

:oreo: