PDA

View Full Version : virus infected - windows xp portion of macbook pro

macbookpro
2009-12-16, 05:35
I have a Macbook pro with windows xp installed via boot camp. Windows portion has been it by a virus. Don't know which one except that it basically took over my desktop, saw it installing some programs (or links) on my desktop, would not let me start a McAfee scan (McAfee was already installed and active), just froze.

After rebooting, I am getting error messages such as, The instructions at "0x003902f5" referenced memory at "0x003902f5". The memory could not be written. Another message comes up is, "RunDll32.EXe" error. I get to log on but the blue screen comes on and stays there. No desktop nothing. It seems like something is going on in background but I cannot figure it out.

I cannot safe boot, it basically goes back to regular boot. I was able to access DOS prompt via windows xp disk but that is all.

My Mac side runs fine.

Any help would be appreciated to clean up this virus and get back to my windows desktop.

Thanks.

shelf life
2009-12-20, 18:05
hi macbookpro,

Welcome to the world of Windows malware. Your log is a few days old. If you still need help simply reply to my post and we will see what we can do.

macbookpro
2009-12-21, 02:56
Hi,

Thanks. I was about to remove the partition and reinstall windows, however, will look at other options you may have. Please let me know.

Thanks.

shelf life
2009-12-21, 15:46
I was about to remove the partition and reinstall windows
that would do the trick.
At reboot chose the xp partition and tap the f8 key and see if you get a options screen, if so chose the first option safe mode. not sure how you were trying it.

macbookpro
2009-12-23, 06:46
Is there any other way instead of removing?

I cannot do the safe mode. Once I click on it nothing happens and after a while it goes to the regular log on screen. I can see the partition files via Mac OS and there is a file named system defender.ink sitting on the desktop folder. Is there any Mac OS based spyware removal program that I can install on Mac side, run it to scan the window partition? I ran the IAntivirus program but it did not catch anything?

I am also able to move files from the widows partition but am afraid that virus may come along as well.

Thanks

shelf life
2009-12-23, 15:01
hi,

Iam not aware of any malware removing software for Mac's. Its not a virus you have, its a fake or rogue antivirus software. I have some info about scareware on my web page. Since you can see the Windows partition and move files we can attempt to go after them manually. There are guides which can be followed.
You said it went to the regular log on screen. You cant log on normally and get to the Windows desktop?

afraid that virus may come along as well
dont worry, the malware wont run on the MAC partition.