PDA

View Full Version : Links get redirected,safe&normal modes don't work

vash14x
2009-12-26, 07:14
Hi everyone, here is my problem. Yesterday, I noticed that my links are being redirected after I use search engines like google and yahoo in IE and Firefox. After doing some research on internet, I tried installing Webroot Spy Sweeper which never finished installing, and then I tried Spyware Doctor 2010 which didn't work properly. I decided to go to the safe mode to deal with this "redirection of links" so I used "msnconfig" and booted up my laptop in safe mode. Then, Windows Advanced Options Menue appeared but none of the options worked. Clicking (entering) on any of those options takes me to windows logo and the "loading" bar under it and then It takes me to the same menue. After trying every option available on this menue I tried using the installation CD that came with my computer but that doesn't work well. Right now I'm stocked in the Windows Advanced Options Menue where I can't boot up windows in normal mode or safe mode. I didn't know about Hijackthis until I started doing some research on internet but it is too late now as i can't get to windows in either safe or normal modes. I have a Dell XPS M140, and my OS is Windows XP Media Center Edition. I greatly appreciate any kind of help that you can offer me.Thx.

vash14x
2009-12-26, 19:07
Just an update and clarification. At this point no matter what I do, after restarting my laptop it takes me to the safe mode menue. However, none of the options in the safe menue works (when i click on any of options, it takes me to the same safe mode menue). However after restarting by tapping on F2 it takes me to the setup utility menue (I'm not sure if that's BIOS?). In this menue (with a blue screen) I tried changing my first and only preferences for the option "Boot Sequence" to "CD/DVD/CD-RW DRIVE" but nothing happens there whenever I put in my installation CD. Do you think If I try to reinstall XP using USB Flash drive instead of the actuall CD it would work?
*I am not worrying about losing my data since I have everything backed up on my external hard drive.