PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed

shockenpgh
2010-01-13, 21:57
My desktop computer got infected with something.
I have Win XP Pro sp3
MS Internet Explorer 8
Symptoms:
In System Configuration Utility Startup, three new startup items had appeared:

smss32 C:\Windows\system32\smss32.exe
kbdcryptd9 rundll32.exe"c:\Documents and Settings\ . . . \Application Data\kbcryptd9\kbdcrypt9.dll"'DllInit
mscj C:\Documents and Settings\ . . . \Application Data\MSA\mscj.exe

Also, the desktop picture was replaced by a new picture stating that my computer was infected with a virus and I need to accept the loading of some anti-virus program, and a red circle with an x appeared in the quick launch tray in the lower right of the screen which would keep popping up a message to load the same software. Never clicked on it.

And, I couldn't bring up Task Manager

I was able to run SpyBot and it found a number of issues; I selected to fix these/remove these, and now when I try to start up the computer, it gets to the Welcome / user name window, and no matter which user name I select, I get a brief flash of the desktop, then up pops the welcome screen with the selected user name icon and the words "logging off" and then "saving your settings" under the name, then it returns to the user name icons. Same thing happens for each user account. Holding down the Shift key after selecting a user does not change this behavior.

When I try to start in Safe Mode, I get a blue screen stating that:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer"

I can't send you a HijackThis file because I can't get past the welcome screen or run in safe mode.

I can't send you the SpyBot log for the same reason.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

shockenpgh
2010-01-18, 02:15
Please cancel my request for help

Thanks