PDA

View Full Version : infected with UPS mail virus. Please help. Cannot log on.

nathaliuk
2010-01-15, 08:26
Hi,
today I received an email via my yahoo account from UPS ( which I now now is not).
Avira scanned the file before I unzipped it, I diod not get any warning, even though I had updatewd the files before, then it went spirling downhill!!

I had so many windows opening up, I immediately disconnected from the net then proceded to virus scan with Avira. At the end of the scan, it could not help as it was infected. I could not open the report, even though there were warnings.

I tried Spybot scan which found a majority of problems which I allowed the fix. I did not think it wise to go on the net as I kept getting Internet Explorere pages opening up.

All during this time I was getting Norton virus updates and warnings - I dont have nortons so ignored them and did not open any of the files. Just closed at the X them and made sure i was disconnected from net.

After spybot cleaned up, I used ATF to clean my temp files and then turned off and re-started.

Since then I can not log on to windows, even in safe mode and adminstrator. I tried f5 and logging on a number of times but it keeps logging me out. I am not getting past the log on page.

I cannot seem to get into windows and think I must have messed up somewhere. Please can someone help me on what the next step forward is as I have no idea what to do next.

I dont know what to do! Do I need a boot disk???? Worried and dissapointed at myself.

Look forward to your reply

mandy nathali
Hong Kong

nathaliuk
2010-01-20, 17:50
As I have Been assisted on another site
Update
in windows- had to install recovery and change registy with assistance from a great guy
using malwarebytes and on second scan to remove tons of stuff and 2010 virus with the assistance of another thread
still working on it. Need to remove spybot due to false negatives. But still not got to that stage.
I still have a way to go. Thankfully not lost any files.

I do not wish to post any threads or web sites without permission nor would I wish to upset moderators. However readers may wish to read and learn from my infection then cure.
If you give your permission, then I will post the thread.
I like to take this opportunity that spybot forum has been helpful and assisted me in the past.
I am grateful for your support and thank you

kind regards
mandy

tashi
2010-01-20, 19:07
Hello nathaliuk,

As I have Been assisted on another site

Posters who start topics at multiple sites for their PC problem waste valuable volunteer resources, so please don't. Our analysts assist people at several forums. A member's user name may be different, the problem will not be. A worse scenario would be to run fixes given at one site unbeknown to the person helping the same user elsewhere.

I do not wish to post any threads or web sites without permission nor would I wish to upset moderators. However readers may wish to read and learn from my infection then cure.
If you give your permission, then I will post the thread.

If someone posts advice to others in their own topic as in, "this worked for me", it will be removed. Just so you know. ;) "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

I like to take this opportunity that spybot forum has been helpful and assisted me in the past.
I am grateful for your support and thank you

Thank you for your kind words.

Best regards. :)