PDA

View Full Version : Abnormal amount of temp files in use

ohsusana
2010-01-17, 19:49
Hello!

Recently, SpyBot's usual pre-scan detection of temporary files has been consistently telling me that 144-145 temp files are in use and cannot be removed. This number is *not* typical (usually I get the message that 6-7 files are in use and cannot be removed).

I checked my temp folder (in Windows) and by all appearances, it doesn't even contain that many files.

I have run the usual cleanups -- deleting browser cache, etc., -- same result.

I update and scan with Spybot daily, as well as two other reliable anti-malware programs (those are passive, on-demand programs, SB is always active). All three scans do not reveal any malware (well, aside from the usual bevvy of tracking cookies, etc.).

I use avast! for my anti-virus and related needs, and ZoneAlarm for my personal firewall.

My operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium.

Advice is invited and welcome.

Many thanks in advance!

Susan Wilson

drragostea
2010-01-18, 01:24
I have run the usual cleanups -- deleting browser cache, etc., -- same result.
What else have you cleaned besides browser cache (irrelevant to Temp. files)?
How did you clean it?

There is an option in Spybot-Search&Destroy to disable the prompting of clearing the Temp. files. In my opinion, 100 temp. files or so will not severely impact the performance of your machine. But it is up to you. Would you like to disable the cleaning of the temp. files (Spybot)?

ohsusana
2010-01-18, 17:01
Thanks for such a swift response!

I have cleaned up old files by both using the Tools option in Internet Explorer (deleting temp files and deleting cookies) and the System Tools Disk Cleanup function through Windows.

I don't want to disable the file cleanup function in SypBot -- I rather like it.

I was alarmed at the sudden jump in the number of files that 'were in use and could not be cleaned' -- worried that there was something hidden or going on in my machine that might be malicious or at the least, unwanted.

I haven't added any new programs recently, and am at a loss to explain what all these temp files might be (as stated, my Temp folder in Windows does not appear to have so many files in it, unless they are hidden somehow and I am not viewing it correctly).

Your thoughts and/or suggestions are welcome.

S

drragostea
2010-01-18, 19:52
From a Google search, it reveals that there are [apparently] two locations for the "Temp. folders".

One folder resides in the C drive and the other in the local settings of the current user profile.

Local Settings\Temp
I typed that in the "Run" command (Start Menu) and I also typed in "temp" (no quotes) into the run commands and that was how I got it.

Which "folder" were you looking at?

ohsusana
2010-01-18, 20:20
Hi again,

I was looking at the C drive Windows temp folder.....after your response, I searched using the terms 'temp' and 'local settings\temp'. I used the search window in the start menu.

The 'temp' search pulled up the C drive folder, and the 'local settings\temp' search revealed nothing.

:-(

I hate it when programs and machines do not behave as expected and then don't provide us with a handy explanation of why :-).

S

drragostea
2010-01-18, 22:03
:spider: Does Spybot tell you that the files are in use when you boot in Safe Mode?

Have you ran Disk Cleanup in Safe Mode?

ohsusana
2010-01-19, 22:43
Howdy.

Yes, the large number of temp files are still listed in use when I run SB in safe mode (138 as opposed to the 144/145 I've been getting, but hey...).

I have not run a Disk Cleanup in safe mode. I will try that next. I may not be able to do so until tomorrow morning, EST USA :-(.

Thanks again for your assistance, I will post again once I've done the safe mode cleanup.

S

ohsusana
2010-01-20, 17:34
OK -- I ran the system tools Disk Cleanup in safe mode -- then tried Spybot in both safe and normal modes -- it still gives me 138 (safe mode) and 145 (normal mode) temp files in use and cannot be deleted.

Is there a report or other way to view what those temp files in use are?

Thanks again,

S

spybotsandra
2010-01-20, 17:42
Hello,

Please try Temp File Cleaner to delete all your temp files.
Here is the direct download link (http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe).

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

ohsusana
2010-01-20, 19:02
OK -- downloaded and run, and I will tentatively say *woohoo!* as it seems to have solved the problem.

I ran SB afteward, and it did not detect any temp files at all.....wonderful.

I will run it again in 24 hours, and see what happens, and post here again.

Hopefully, that will be my last post: of the 'thank you, you guys are all wonderful' variety.

Peace,

Susan

ohsusana
2010-01-21, 19:56
Yay! You guys are wonderful! Everything seems back to normal.

Thank you so much for your kind time and attention.

Peace all,

Susan