PDA

View Full Version : Malware disallowing XP login

jcox_21
2010-01-18, 10:34
I was attacked by malware last night on my laptop running windows XP. A subsequent result of the attack is that I can no longer log into my account on that computer. Therefore, I am posting this on another computer.

I have spybot installed with the registry protection service turned on. I was looking for tips on how to play Flight Sim X by googling questions such as "how do you refuel in msx?"and selecting various results looking for answers. When I went to one of those sites my Spybot S&D registry change box came up and asked me if I wanted to allow a change to the registry. Not thinking much of it, I stupidly agreed to as I recall 2 registry changes. Immediately, I realized the terrible mistake I had made when several warning box popped out of my toolbar alerting me that my computer was under attack, and I needed to purchase and download the program "Internet Security 2010."

Having seen symptoms like this before on my girlfriend's computer I knew that there was no real virus other than what I had just downloaded. I immedately disconnected from the network which I was hardwired into. I then ran a full AVG scan. During the AVG scan my desktop background was changed to an image alerting me to the "security threat".

While AVG ran I began searching on my other computer for more information about what had happened and the program "Internet Security 2010." As I suspected I found out it was a useless program that was being recommended to me by Malware. Several sites recommended I use the application Malwarebytes to get rid of this infection.

I didn't want to reconnect to the internet to download malwarebytes so I downloaded and burned it from another computer. I installed it and ran it concurrently with AVG. I ran the "quick scan" function and it found 4 malware type infections. It found 20 total infections but the bulk were cookies. Thinking that I had found the infection and seeing that AVG wasn't finding anything but cookies I stopped the AVG scan to allow my computer to restart which malwarebytes said was required.

On restart everything seemed to be working fine. The dialog boxes were gone. No more warnings. The only remaining evidence was that my background was still changed. I went to display properties and changed it back. The file image that it was changed to called "warning" was still there in the list. I didn't delete that image.

I went back to my normal business thinking the attack was over. I left my computer on for about 18 hours. I played FSX, browsed the internet, and everything was fine. The computer shut down by itself while I was in a graphic intensive moment in FSX.

When it restarted after that crash it booted and showed my desktop background image with no files on it and no toolbar. That stayed up for about 30 seconds then it loaded to the login screen. When I click on my account to log in it attempts to do so but after saying "loading preferences" it immediately says "logging out" and "saving preferences". I can even hear the login sound followed by the log out sound. Multiple attempts at restarting have led to the same thing.

I have intermediate computer skills, but I have no idea where to go from here. Can anybody help me?

Blade81
2010-01-21, 19:13
Hi,

Do you have your XP installation media handy?

Blade81
2010-01-28, 22:14
Due to inactivity, this thread will now be closed.

Note:If it has been four days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh HijackThis log and a link to your previous thread. Please do not add any logs that might have been requested in the closed topic, you would be starting fresh.

If it has been less than four days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send me or MOD a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.