PDA

View Full Version : Spybot removed most of Supsav.Smss32, but XP will not reboot after required restart

TheFlugelmeister
2010-01-21, 06:56
I have been working for days to remove Supsav.Smss32 from my computer. My wife got it somehow last Friday night. Many programs were locked, but I could access Norton and Spybot S&D. Norton found nothing, but Spybot S&D found Supsav.Smss32. I ran it twice and removed all but one entry which was in memory and needed to be deleted after a restart. When restarting, it would let me logon and go as far as my desktop wallpaper and immediately log off and save my settings.

I can not get into windows XP of any form (F8 options), even the Safe Modes. I can get to the command line in the Recovery Console. I tried to create a boot CD with AVIRA, but it will not boot either. I removed the drive and connected it to another computer and the data is intact. It just will not logon.

I ran Spybot S&D from my laptop, but my old XP computer is USB 1.1 and took 6 1/2 hours to scan almost all the drive before it froze. I have a bad sector of RAM on the laptop. I tried the manual removal. The only thing I could find was in the Windows/Prefetch. I removed it and checked the registry entry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" of the external drive and it was clean.

Can I run Spybot from the command line to finish the removal?

I am nearly at a loss. Without being able to boot the drive, it is nearly impossible to run any diagnostic.

Any Ideas?

shelf life
2010-01-25, 23:07
hi,

Your log is a few days. I have some suggestions you might try. Reply to the post if interested.