PDA

View Full Version : Problem scanning-deleting SpyBot zipped files

Conrad-SpyBot
2010-02-08, 01:33
I've used SpyBot for a few years without incident or any sort of "failure" of the software to protect my PC.

Simultaneously, with my use of SpyBot, I DID have a failure while using McAfee virus protection and I switched to Norton virus scan (both McAfee and Norton were REALLY cumbersome, but removing the virus after the McAfee failure, was a thousand times worse than either of those programs).

I then switched to ESET NOD32 for anti-virus protection.

IT WORKED GREAT and very easy (pretty much in the background).

Since I'm probably NOT a heavy lifter as far as Internet usage, my experience might not be very "important" but it resulted in my becoming a less frequent user - updater of my SpyBot scanning software.

I have recently noticed that when I do a "system scan" of my PC using the ESET NOD32 software, that the ONLY "problem" files (and there are LOTS of them) are named something along the lines of:

"SpyBot zipped file blah blah blah" or perhaps sort of the opposite: "filename, blah blah balh a SpyBot zipped file".

Most all of these odd-named "zipped" files are held in just one or maybe two directories on my computer.

I would like to just "erase" or delete ALL of these odd-named files, so as to just eliminate some of the "junk" on my computer.

Do these "zipped" SpyBot files have any useful or necessary purpose? Does it cause any problem to just delete them?

If this forum is not the place to find a definitive answer to this type of question, where (in SpyBot) should I go to get this question answered?

Thanks for considering my question. : - )

spybotsandra
2010-02-08, 10:02
Hello,

The zip files are needed for Spybot-S&D's recovery. They can be restored in case something does not work after fixing a problem with Spybot-S&D.
You'll find the recovery, if you start Spybot - Search & Destroy and select 'Search and Destroy' --> 'Recovery' in the left bar. If, after a scan, the system works without problems you can delete these files by clicking on 'Purge selected recovery' in the same section after ticking all the checkboxes. You can also change the settings. In the left bar, select 'Settings' --> 'Settings', and in the right window search for 'Age of recovery'. By clicking on that entry you can type in the number of days after which Spybot - Search & Destroy should remove the recovery zip-files automatically.

The zip files in the recovery folder are password protected.
The password is: recovery

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot