PDA

View Full Version : SpyBot crashes while fixing problems... that don't get fixed.

topeira
2010-02-16, 17:31
I had no issues with scpybot ever but ever since yesterday whenever i run the scan i get to a full 100% scan and the next screen comes up. the same screen that has the :fix problems".

the second a press "fix selected problems" the SB locks up.
the software doesnt respond and shows as "not responding" in the task manager.

i tried changing the affinity to only run one core but nothing. i can't use SB anymore.

can anyone help?

drragostea
2010-02-17, 01:32
Running on one core or not does not impact the scan results. Can you post up a log of what Spybot-Search&Destroy is detecting?

topeira
2010-02-17, 08:24
Running on one core or not does not impact the scan results. Can you post up a log of what Spybot-Search&Destroy is detecting?

i know it doesnt. may problem is not with the results. its about the software that locks up. i read somewhere that it might be an issue with how the cores are involved.

not MY case, apparently

about what u asked for - u mean what are the malicious spywares it finds? how do u show a log? where is that log located?

drragostea
2010-02-19, 04:48
Well, that's my point. I wanted to know what Spybot is attempting to fix that makes it lock up.

Go to Spybot>Advanced Mode>Tools>View Report>View Previous Report. Now with Windows Explorer find it:
Checks.YYMMDD-xxxx

You should be looking for a date that was most recent, if not, the date on which you made the scan (that this thread concerns).

Your desired log should look something like this:

--- Report generated: 2010-02-09 21:16 ---

Congratulations!: No immediate threats were found. (Status)

--- Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.6.2 (build: 20090126) ---

2009-01-26 blindman.exe (1.0.0.8)
2009-01-26 SDFiles.exe (1.6.1.7)
2009-01-26 SDMain.exe (1.0.0.6)
2009-01-26 SDUpdate.exe (1.6.0.12)
2009-01-26 SpybotSD.exe (1.6.2.46)
2009-03-05 TeaTimer.exe (1.6.6.32)
2009-11-06 unins000.exe (51.49.0.0)
2009-01-26 Update.exe (1.6.0.7)
2009-09-07 advcheck.dll (1.6.4.18)
2007-04-02 aports.dll (2.1.0.0)

My scan had no threats.

topeira
2010-04-09, 01:22
thanks, drragostea.

here is my log:

--- Report generated: 2010-02-16 17:56 ---

Right Media: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: adar) (Cookie, nothing done)

DoubleClick: Tracking cookie (Chrome: Chrome) (Cookie, nothing done)

FastClick: Tracking cookie (Chrome: Chrome) (Cookie, nothing done)

Statcounter: Tracking cookie (Chrome: Chrome) (Cookie, nothing done)

Statcounter: Tracking cookie (Chrome: Chrome) (Cookie, nothing done)

MediaPlex: Tracking cookie (Chrome: Chrome) (Cookie, nothing done)

--- Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.6.2 (build: 20090126) ---

2009-01-26 blindman.exe (1.0.0.8)
2009-01-26 SDFiles.exe (1.6.1.7)
2009-01-26 SDMain.exe (1.0.0.6)
2009-01-26 SDShred.exe (1.0.2.5)
2009-01-26 SDUpdate.exe (1.6.0.12)
2009-01-26 SpybotSD.exe (1.6.2.46)
2009-03-05 TeaTimer.exe (1.6.6.32)
2010-02-16 unins000.exe (51.49.0.0)
2009-01-26 Update.exe (1.6.0.7)
2009-11-04 advcheck.dll (1.6.5.20)
2007-04-02 aports.dll (2.1.0.0)
2008-06-14 DelZip179.dll (1.79.11.1)
2009-01-26 SDHelper.dll (1.6.2.14)
2008-06-19 sqlite3.dll
2009-01-26 Tools.dll (2.1.6.10)
2009-01-16 UninsSrv.dll (1.0.0.0)
2009-10-08 Includes\Adware.sbi (*)
2010-02-09 Includes\AdwareC.sbi (*)
2010-01-25 Includes\Cookies.sbi (*)
2009-11-03 Includes\Dialer.sbi (*)
2010-02-09 Includes\DialerC.sbi (*)
2010-01-25 Includes\HeavyDuty.sbi (*)
2009-05-26 Includes\Hijackers.sbi (*)
2010-02-09 Includes\HijackersC.sbi (*)
2010-01-20 Includes\Keyloggers.sbi (*)
2010-02-09 Includes\KeyloggersC.sbi (*)
2004-11-29 Includes\LSP.sbi (*)
2010-02-10 Includes\Malware.sbi (*)
2010-02-10 Includes\MalwareC.sbi (*)
2009-03-25 Includes\PUPS.sbi (*)
2010-02-09 Includes\PUPSC.sbi (*)
2010-01-25 Includes\Revision.sbi (*)
2009-01-13 Includes\Security.sbi (*)
2010-02-10 Includes\SecurityC.sbi (*)
2008-06-03 Includes\Spybots.sbi (*)
2008-06-03 Includes\SpybotsC.sbi (*)
2009-11-03 Includes\Spyware.sbi (*)
2010-02-09 Includes\SpywareC.sbi (*)
2009-06-08 Includes\Tracks.uti
2009-12-08 Includes\Trojans.sbi (*)
2010-02-10 Includes\TrojansC.sbi (*)
2008-03-04 Plugins\Chai.dll
2008-03-05 Plugins\Fennel.dll
2008-02-26 Plugins\Mate.dll
2007-12-24 Plugins\TCPIPAddress.dll

i cant make out what it says. thing is, the spybot locks up before trying fix anything. i run it and if it reaches the end of the scan OR if i press CANCEL then it locks up. "program stopped responding". i do not know if it has something to do with a malware but then again - what do i know?

does the log say anything? can i remove the malwares myself?

spybotsandra
2010-04-09, 09:17
Hello,

That is no malware that is found, that are only cookies.
Please disable all other security programs that you run and close all other programs during the work with Spybot - Search & Destroy.

Also run a scan in safe mode (http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm). That should fix it.

It should also help to deactivate the scanning for usage tracks and Cookies.
Please run Spybot-S&D and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode". Now select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the navigation bar on the left. The checkboxes in front of "Usage tracking, Beta.uti, NewTracks.uti and Tracks.uti" have to be unticked if you do not want to find usage tracks anymore. For excluding Cookies from the search deactivate the checkbox in front of Cookies.sbi.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

topeira
2010-04-09, 18:00
Hello,

That is no malware that is found, that are only cookies.
Please disable all other security programs that you run and close all other programs during the work with Spybot - Search & Destroy.

Also run a scan in safe mode (http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm). That should fix it.

It should also help to deactivate the scanning for usage tracks and Cookies.
Please run Spybot-S&D and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode". Now select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the navigation bar on the left. The checkboxes in front of "Usage tracking, Beta.uti, NewTracks.uti and Tracks.uti" have to be unticked if you do not want to find usage tracks anymore. For excluding Cookies from the search deactivate the checkbox in front of Cookies.sbi.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

thanks. sadly, unproductive.

closing other security programs (i only have AVG and AdWare, which i started using because i can no longer run SB) didnt help. SB locks up an crashes.

closing other programs didnt help either. i ran SB right after a reboot. no other programs were running.

Running in safe mode didnt help either. SB locks up at the end of the scan.

Usage trackin and Beta.uti are already unticket
NewTracks.uti and Tracks.uti are missing from my list.

a small detail that might be irrelevant: every time i reboot a folder pops up on my desktop once the desktop comes up - it's C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy folder. in it i see 4 files:
advcheck.dll, SDHelper.dll, TeaTimer.exe and Tools.dll. i have no clue why this folder is welcoming me every time i boot my machine up.

in short - still can't run SB. it locks up. stops responding after it passes a certain part of the scan.

topeira
2010-04-22, 16:23
anyone else has suggestions on what can i do to be able to run spybot without it locking up indefinitely while scanning my machine?

spybotsandra
2010-04-22, 16:32
Hello,

You did not exclude the cookies like recommended.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Garltok
2014-05-01, 05:47
I get the same issue which is frustrating because I have a virus that won't get fixed because it crashes the second I click to fix the problem.

Garltok
2014-05-01, 07:42
Update: I tried a few fixes including running it in safe mode, but nothing works. The system scan freezes up instantly upon clicking fix

Garltok
2014-05-01, 11:20
Update: I tried a few fixes including running it in safe mode, but nothing works. The system scan freezes up instantly upon clicking fix

Sorry for the repetitive posts but it won't let me edit or delete posts to consolidate them.

I found a solution, if I left the window unresponsive without stopping it after a time spybot would right itself and remove the threats.

Joshywa
2014-09-16, 15:11
Sorry for the repetitive posts but it won't let me edit or delete posts to consolidate them.

I found a solution, if I left the window unresponsive without stopping it after a time spybot would right itself and remove the threats.

Hey Garltok.

Mine does the exact same thing every time that I try to fix errors. It isn't even finding anything malicious, its just coming up with tracing cookies and browser histories but when i hit fix it can take anywhere up to fifteen minutes to fix about 12 errors.

I would ask what the specs of your computer are in case you are using an older machine however mine is certainly not underpowered as it has some very high end specs and still locks up. I'm not running any other spyware or antivirus as i have the paid vesion of spybot that includes these functions.

I never had any dramas with spybot until i purchased the home license. Don't understand how the paid version of the software can do this when i have been using the free version for years without any issue or complaint.

Karinj
2014-09-20, 17:01
My Spybot fix selected stopped working when I updated to Windows 8.1. Is there an update for compatibility or is there another problem?

Zenobia
2014-09-20, 22:47
There was a patch released with Spybot 2.2 and onwards for Windows 8.1,so it shouldn't be a compatibility problem:
http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/does-spybot-sd-2-support-windows-8/
That's for the Spybot 2 versions,I don't believe there was anything released for compatibility for the Spybot 1.6.2 version.Do you have Spybot 2.4? :)

Garyk7gld
2014-09-29, 04:29
I never had any dramas with spybot until i purchased the home license. Don't understand how the paid version of the software can do this when i have been using the free version for years without any issue or complaint.

Don't feel as tho' you're alone! ;)

I was running the free version for a couple of years - NO problems - THEN I bought the Home/Virus update for my desktop PC, and have immediately started getting "runtime error 217" - then discovered the exact same program crash every time I ran a system scan - found some cookies and one more serious issue, but the program crashed when I hit the FIX key...

Those 2 problems, PLUS the one when last Friday I (foolishly!) tried to also upgrade Spybot on my laptop PC, only to have the online Spybot licensing window refuse to display, AFTER I had already paid via Paypal!

No big deal there, after TWO supposedly but UNhelpful exchanges with Spybot reps TRYING to correct the licensing process, I've finally decided none of this is worth the heartburn and frustration (not to mention possible harm to other properly operating PC programs, or the OS itself!), and filed a dispute with Paypal and WILL get my purchase price refunded...

MEANWHILE, I've deleted the defective Home/Virus version from my desktop PC, reinstalled the free version, and will simply consider the lost purchase price on that PC as a "donation" for the free version I have gone back to...

NO, I really don't think the Spybot bunch are crooks - but I *DO* think they are incompetent!

Not REALLY sure which is WORSE! ;)

Digger01
2015-05-19, 19:18
I have the very same issue, SB locks up and is unresponsive in task manager

I disabled cookies and other apps and progs running even tried as suggested running in safe mode but I always get the same result, click on fix selected and it crashes.

SB offers great support in most cases but I cant understand why it crashes all the time.

The solution is to run the scan, press on the fix selected and leave for a few min, I then close the program completely and re-scan, after the re-scan it works flawless, so idk what you guys think.

I would love to hear of a better solution.

Zenobia
2015-05-19, 23:30
The solution is to run the scan, press on the fix selected and leave for a few min, I then close the program completely and re-scan, after the re-scan it works flawless, so idk what you guys think.
Hey,thanks for posting that.Not ideal,I know,but it is something to try when others have this problem. :)

Maxrunner
2015-06-17, 02:26
Don't feel as tho' you're alone! ;)

I was running the free version for a couple of years - NO problems - THEN I bought the Home/Virus update for my desktop PC, and have immediately started getting "runtime error 217" - then discovered the exact same program crash every time I ran a system scan - found some cookies and one more serious issue, but the program crashed when I hit the FIX key...

Those 2 problems, PLUS the one when last Friday I (foolishly!) tried to also upgrade Spybot on my laptop PC, only to have the online Spybot licensing window refuse to display, AFTER I had already paid via Paypal!

No big deal there, after TWO supposedly but UNhelpful exchanges with Spybot reps TRYING to correct the licensing process, I've finally decided none of this is worth the heartburn and frustration (not to mention possible harm to other properly operating PC programs, or the OS itself!), and filed a dispute with Paypal and WILL get my purchase price refunded...

MEANWHILE, I've deleted the defective Home/Virus version from my desktop PC, reinstalled the free version, and will simply consider the lost purchase price on that PC as a "donation" for the free version I have gone back to...

NO, I really don't think the Spybot bunch are crooks - but I *DO* think they are incompetent!

Not REALLY sure which is WORSE! ;)

im using the free edition 2.4 on windows 8.1 and it always freezes when i press the fix button in the footerm havent tried the the one on the left.

Digger01
2015-06-19, 21:01
Come on guys, we have said there is a problem but ive seen nothing in the comments that has a fix for the crashes.
I have win 8.1 and im using SB 2.4 so there should be no compatibility issues, but click on 'Fix Selected' and it crashes without fail, ive tried all the suggested above and even manage to get to work on occasion but this is fast becoming a joke. We pay good money for a service, start earning it.

garyharper
2015-06-22, 00:30
Come on guys, we have said there is a problem but ive seen nothing in the comments that has a fix for the crashes.
I have win 8.1 and im using SB 2.4 so there should be no compatibility issues, but click on 'Fix Selected' and it crashes without fail, ive tried all the suggested above and even manage to get to work on occasion but this is fast becoming a joke. We pay good money for a service, start earning it.

Seriously, we went the extra mile to actually purchase the software and I would bet that 90% of the users have a fair idea about how to use a computer. We get pat answers like "You didn't turn off cookies like recommended"... Oh excuse me please.. the cookies are turned off..like the man said.. Oh oh.. I see no response to that, and furthermore no response to the problem. I have the same problem and I think that the non-responsiveness of this company warrants a refund. Epic fail.