PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 and Spybot

RGT_1973
2010-02-21, 18:04
Hi,

Just installed Spybot v1.6.2.46 on a new Core I7 Windows 7 64-bit computer and noticed a few issues.

When Spybot first starts and if it detects a lot of temporary files, it will ask if you wish to delete these to speed up Spybot. There were some 200+ files reported and all but 3 in use files were deleted according to Spybot. Then the scan commenced. Then I checked:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\

I was surprised to see so many empty folders and files left behind, 44 in total, 11 were files. At first I thought it was deleting the wrong temp directory when I saw so many things left behind.

Then after the scan progression gauge reached 100 percent, four cookies were found and displayed in the main panel. However, even at 100 percent the scan didn't complete. I let it sit there for awhile and I eventually had to click "Stop Check".

Not sure at this point whether to proceed and delete the cookies, clicked the close button and "Unloading user registry hives might take a while..." appeared in the title bar. Now some 20 minutes later, it still says that and the close button, besides depressing when click, doesn't do anything.

Anyone else having problem such as these?

spybotsandra
2010-02-22, 11:28
Hello,

How many users has your system?
The unloading is done by Windows, all we do is tell Windows to unload the registry hives we've previously loaded.
Or do you maybe have multiple Windows installations?

This (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=48057&highlight=registry+hives) thread in our forum should also help.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

RGT_1973
2010-02-22, 13:11
How many users has your system?
Just me.

The unloading is done by Windows, all we do is tell Windows to unload the registry hives we've previously loaded.
Or do you maybe have multiple Windows installations?

I ended up killing the task in Task Manager as it never unloaded the hives.

Just the one installation. I also tried it in Safe Mode and the same thing happened.

What has me most worried is that some 200+ files may have been mistakenly deleted. My interpretation of 3 files in use suggests to me that all of the contents, except for 3 files, should be gone from the temp directory and that was not the case.

This (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=48057&highlight=registry+hives) thread in our forum should also help.

I took a quick look and it's not a 'not enough memory' issue, at least I hope not. I have 8 GBs of ram. I'll take a longer look.

Thanks for the reply.