PDA

View Full Version : Help with Spybot Freeze!

Glynsig
2010-02-23, 01:27
Hope someone can help me? I have recently experienced Spybot freezing and not carrying out scans. Nothing would make it work so I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it but the problem remained with Spybot not even loading. I use Windows XP.

Initially Spybot became very slow having been quick before this and then after starting the scan a new window appeared saying Spybot was counting the temporary files (I am very meticulous in removing temporary files btw). It was after this that the scans began to freeze and I have not competed a scan for nearly a week now.

I want to reinstall Spybot for the 3rd time but maybe someone could give me some advice if it appears I am doing something wrong. I am not a computer expert so will need advice which is not too complicated. :laugh:

Thanks in advance.

spybotsandra
2010-02-23, 10:05
Hello,

1. Please disable all other security programs that you run and close all other programs during the work with Spybot - Search & Destroy.

2. Also run a scan in safe mode (http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm). That should fix it.

3. It should also help to deactivate the scanning for usage tracks and Cookies.
Please run Spybot-S&D and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode". Now select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the navigation bar on the left. The checkboxes in front of "Usage tracking, Beta.uti, NewTracks.uti and Tracks.uti" have to be unticked if you do not want to find usage tracks anymore. For excluding Cookies from the search deactivate the checkbox in front of Cookies.sbi.

4. If you want to disable the "DisableTempFolderCleaning" you have to use a tweak.
To create such a tweak, create a registry value in the following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\Tweaks\Application.exe\
Replace Application.exe with the name of the executable it should affect, no paths used.
Or, if you want the tweak to apply globally to all our products, simply use this path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\Tweaks\
Use this tweak to completely skip the new function that tries to clear the systems temp folder to speed up scans:
DisableTempFolderCleaning : REG_DWORD = 00000000 (default if not set)
DisableTempFolderCleaning : REG_DWORD = 00000001 (does not offer temp folder cleaning on app start)

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Glynsig
2010-02-24, 01:44
I will try out your suggestions although some of it is not entirely understandable to me. :confused: Tweaks are a new thing to me but I will see what I can do!!! :thanks:

Glynsig