PDA

View Full Version : Spybot Search & Destroy Lockups

placebo
2010-03-12, 14:48
I installed the latest version 2 days ago (first install, not an update) and am having serious problems with the application locking up.

If I let it do a complete scan, it does so finding 6-7 issues all but 1 are "browser" types with 1 malware entry. I can move the mouse pointer around in the app window but if I "touch" anything...click the mouse or try to select "fix" the pointer changes to hour glass and the app is done. I can kill it in the task manager, but it becomes completely non-responsive. I let it sit for 4 hours just in case it was real busy, but it's toast.

I then re-ran the scan but I stopped it before it finished. It had found the malware issue and 2 of the browser issues. I select fix and it fixes the identified issues. I then re-run the scan and the issues are gone. If I let the scan finish to pick up the rest of the issues and then try do anything...again...toast. The last few browser issues show up at the very end of the scan so I can't stop it manually inbetween the find and the end of the scan so I can't finish the cleanup.

Any ideas.....?

placebo
2010-03-12, 15:04
I've run most of the scan attempts in Safe Mode, although it reacts the same whether in Safe Mode or not...

spybotsandra
2010-03-22, 13:40
Hello,

Please disable all other security programs that you run and close all other programs during the work with Spybot - Search & Destroy.

Also run a scan in safe mode (http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm).

It should also help to deactivate the scanning for usage tracks and Cookies.
Please run Spybot-S&D and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode". Now select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the navigation bar on the left. The checkboxes in front of "Usage tracking, Beta.uti, NewTracks.uti and Tracks.uti" have to be unticked if you do not want to find usage tracks anymore. For excluding Cookies from the search deactivate the checkbox in front of Cookies.sbi.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot