PDA

View Full Version : Why does S-N support misleading links on hosted download sites?

goofy173
2010-03-14, 17:15
I just went through 4 clicks of the word 'download', just to download Spybot. I can live with that. However when using the first host, BN Fileforum, there are 4 clickable downloads on there prominently displayed, which are not the Spybot download. Misleading to say the least.

There is a LARGE RECOMMENDED DOWNLOAD. Then in much smaller letters it says its for RegistryBooster 2001.

Then there is a big DOWNLOAD bar on the upper right corner. Looks like for RegistryBooster too.

Just under that is a smaller, and standard font Download Now, which doesn't identify what is going to be downloaded, and that's the Spybot download.

Then we move just slightly down and there is another large Recommended Download and it's for Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus 2010.

Then under all that is a regular looking, blue download button. That seems to be for the Spyare Doctor, even though clicking on anything near that Spyware Dr. ad, seems to try and download it.

So what brought me to this? 3 people now have told me they have no idea what to click on that page, and many of the names sound suspiciously like some of the spyware that they've seen recently. I don't blame them.

I would recommend S-N have BN Fileforum change the download page to be more simple, or just not use them. The next 2 links, Freeware archiv and SecurityWonks are really clean and simple.

That Antivirus 2010 looks almost the same as the antivirusxp 2010 crap that is going around.

Use some common sense here.

MisterW
2010-03-16, 08:57
Hello Goofy173,
Thank you for reporting that issue. We will contact BN in order to fix it.

Best regards,
Markus