PDA

View Full Version : immunize hangs, uses 100% CPU

uzer5
2010-03-24, 19:35
The title pretty much says it all. I DL'd the latest update then ran immunize. It got part way through the process and then froze. I tried starting the program up again and running it again, and same problem. So I gave up on the immunize for the moment and ran the scan. The program began using 98% to 100% of the CPU. It didn't hang, but its resource usage remained this high throughout the entire scan. I've never had this happen before.

spybotsandra
2010-03-25, 09:20
Hello,

Which Spybot version do you have?
Did you close your browser during the immunization?
Do you have any other security software installed?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

uzer5
2010-03-26, 00:46
Sandra,

Thanks for your reply.

Answering your questions:

1.6.2.46 with latest updates

Yes. FWIW, Opera 10.10 is the main browser. I just switched back to this version from 10.51. I also have IE6 and the latest FF on the system. I've never used FF until now and it was added since the last time I ran Spybot S&D. Maybe having a new browser and a changed browser is somehow part of the problem? (BTW, separate issue, I know, but I can't stay logged in to this forum using Opera. Very annoying...)

Yes, avast free version 5.0.462 with latest definitions, Comodo Firewall (antivirus and Defense+ disabled) v. 3.14.130099.57, Malwarebytes free version 1.44 with latest updates (no real-time protection). Have used these programs for a while (previous versions, also) with no conflicts with Spybot S&D.

Also, running on Windows XP Home SP3 with latest updates

spybotsandra
2010-03-26, 09:58
Hello,

Perhaps it really helps if you make an uninstall of those browser versions and then download a clean version of your browser.

On the other hand there had been reports about the latest Opera browser.
This seems to be a common problem where no solution is present at the moment. With the new version Opera has made some changes, that affect the immunization. Please deactivate the cookie immunization of Spybot-S&D, to complete the immunization. Please note that after undoing the immunization of Opera 10 a re-immunization of Opera 10 currently may not be possible, even if Spybot-S&D shows a success.
We are working on this item to solve this problem as soon as possible.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

uzer5
2010-03-27, 01:23
Hi,

As far as the immunization, I saw after I posted my last reply that there are other threads about a known bug with being unable to immunize the new version of Firefox. I unticked the boxes for FF and ran the immunize and it worked fine for everything else, so as far as that goes it is obviously the Firefox bug.

I have not run a scan again to see if S&D is still using full CPU.

I'm a little unclear on your latest reply about clean installing the browser(s). Is this strictly in regard to immunization issues or also about my problem with being recognized as logged in/staying logged in to this forum when using Opera?

I have a lot of notes, bookmarks and customization in Opera; I'm really not too keen on the idea of doing a backup, uninstall, clean install and resetting everything.

thomast77
2010-03-30, 09:37
I am having the same problem. I reinstalled Spybot and all updates. But immunize hangs everytime. However it seems to be a Firefox problem as I have unchecked Firefox in the immunize window and it works fine.