PDA

View Full Version : SpyBot runs on reboot - Why?

FiberGuy
2010-03-29, 19:38
Greetings,

Last night I disabled teatimer, just to see if that would increase system performance. I decided to run without it for a few days.

Well, this morning on boot up, SpyBot initiated a scan automatically. Fine and dandy, if the scan didn't take 2 hours.

After SpyBot did its thing (no problems found), Windows booted normally. I opened SpyBot and the option "Automatically run program at system startup" was NOT checked.

Now I'm afraid to reboot my PC for fear of being without it for another 2+ hours while spybot scans again. LOL

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Zenobia
2010-03-30, 05:09
Spybot sometimes asks if it can run a scan on startup if it could not remove a threat/problem because the threat/problem was running,and it's easier to remove when it isn't.Can you remember if Spybot asked this after a recent scan?
If it did ask and there were no problems found,then hopefully Spybot shouldn't run automatically on your next reboot,unless the runonce entry was prevented from being removed from your startup for some reason.

FiberGuy
2010-03-30, 05:39
Thanks Zenobia...

I haven't run a scan since last week or more, and only minor problems found (all cookies).

FWIW - I've since rebooted and noticed nothing unusual.

Zenobia
2010-03-30, 20:26
You're welcome. :)
The only other thing I can think of to cause the scan on boot,since only minor problems were found,is that Spybot will also sometimes offer to run on reboot if it can't fix a usage track,if you also scan for those.

FiberGuy
2010-03-30, 20:34
The only other thing I can think of to cause the scan on boot,since only minor problems were found,is that Spybot will also sometimes offer to run on reboot if it can't fix a usage track,if you also scan for those.

Oh yes, I've encountered that before (ages ago), and it was always a very polite, "Please may we run on startup" request - in typical SpyBot fashion! :D:

This time however, was a total "surprise".

Zenobia
2010-03-30, 20:41
hmmm,you'll have to chalk it up to one of the mysteries of Spybot,then. :laugh:

FiberGuy
2010-03-30, 21:17
Thanks again for your help... indeed, seeing how everything seems to be functioning as advertised, I'll chalk it up to a 'puter gremlin...

Have a nice day, and stay safe!

Cheers

:D

:thanks:

firebrddriver
2010-03-30, 23:06
Please see my thread here entitled,,"This was weird" The same exact thing happened to me last week,,first time it has ever done that. It happened the next moring after I ran a scan prior to going to bed and shutting the computer off for the night. Nothing was found on that scan. I just did a scan (again nothing found) and shut down thinking when I start up again (after a scan) it will happen again but so far everything looks good. Who knows,,computers can drive you nuts sometimes.

BTW Zenobia,,,how can I check to see if I'm scanning for usage tracks? Thanks.

FiberGuy
2010-03-31, 00:44
Please see my thread here entitled,,"This was weird" The same exact thing happened to me last week,,first time it has ever done that. It happened the next moring after I ran a scan prior to going to bed and shutting the computer off for the night. Nothing was found on that scan. I just did a scan (again nothing found) and shut down thinking when I start up again (after a scan) it will happen again but so far everything looks good. Who knows,,computers can drive you nuts sometimes.

Thanks for your input! I'll have a look-see here later this evening...

Zenobia
2010-03-31, 04:45
If you're scanning for usage tracks,Spybot will list items in green after you perform a scan.
Or,you can also check by opening Spybot,then clicking Mode,Advanced Mode,Settings,then File Sets,then in the main window to the right,scroll down.If you're scanning for usage tracks,then there will be a checkmark beside Usage Tracking and Tracks.uti will also probably be checked. :)

firebrddriver
2010-03-31, 15:27
Thank you Zenobia,,I just checked and "usage tracks" is not checked off,,,is it an important item I should be scanning? And could you tell me what "usage tracks" are,,thanks for putting up with what must seem like some stupid questions.

spybotsandra
2010-03-31, 15:31
Hello,

Usage tracks are your fingerprints in your system. Whenever you visit a page with your browser, or just open any file, that information is stored deep inside Windows. In most cases that is very useful – if you want to open that file again, you can select it from a list instead of typing the whole filename or browsing the whole directory structure again.

But in some cases you may want to hide your activity, because spyware and internet attackers may use that information. Spybot-Search&Destroy can remove some of the most important and common tracks on your system.
You may still decide to keep a threat, or just a usage track. Maybe you don't want your list of most recently used Word documents removed?
At this point you have three options.

* You could decide on ignoring all usage tracks. In that case you could open the File sets page on the Settings section
of the program, and disable the Usage tracks entries.
* Or if you want to just keep all tracks from a specific product, just right-click a product in the results list.
* Finally, if you want to keep just one file, that is possible the same way

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

firebrddriver
2010-03-31, 18:11
Thanks for the info,,I learn something new each time i come here.

Zenobia
2010-04-01, 19:43
,,thanks for putting up with what must seem like some stupid questions.

These aren't stupid questions at all,and I never mind answering.Cheers. :)