PDA

View Full Version : Is Safer Networking interested in what Symantec has to say?

kacky
2010-04-06, 06:41
After I got a bunch of malware that was found by Spybot and not by Norton, Symantec tech support is advising me to un-install Spybot. I will humor them just long enough to run a scan and then Spybot is going right back on my computer, and I'll be continuing my annual donation. Anyway, is there someplace I should forward the email telling me that Spybot and Norton are incompatible?

Mega Tornaconto
2010-04-06, 10:34
Well, I can only talk about my experience. Years ago, when I talked to Mcafee Tech support, I asked them why their DAT FILES about virus were daily updated and instead the MALWARE/PUPS DAT were old by months.
(the old versions of Mcafee had two separate ways of scan, one for virus and one for malware).
The answer was litterally: "Why Macfee had to waste time and resources to maintain it updated when it do exist ont the web a software like Spybot Search and Destroy, which is fast, updated and free?" I did'nt know Spybot so far and it was Mcafee tech support that reccomended me to install it.
So well when today I scan my system, Spybot usually finds something that Mcafee's isn't able to detect: if one can't take the malware,the other could do. So I'll ever take the two software as twin guardian to my system.
Best regards to everybody

Live long and prosper

MisterW
2010-04-06, 11:11
Hello kacky,
please forward the mail to legal@spybot.info . We are really interessted to see what they said exactly :cowboy:

regards,
Markus

kacky
2010-04-07, 00:38
Will do!:ninja:

editing to add: I am operating on about 4 hours' sleep today, so I forwarded the message without any explanation. I hope legal will still be able to use it. It really just gives the same old blurb, but evidence is important.

Buster
2010-04-07, 09:27
Hello kacky,

thanks for your email. :thanks: