PDA

View Full Version : cannot uninstall Spybot

goingviral
2010-04-12, 03:50
OK I had a problem with a virus and I've been helped and my system is deemed clean. Spybot is puzzling me though. Here's what's happening:

It does not update. It gives the "Error retrieving update info file!" message.
I have been manually updating the database. And it seems to work. When I applied immunization though, it would not work for another user on the computer that has administrative privileges.

I thought that I should UNinstall it and reinstall it again but it then I get this error:

"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\unins000.dat" file is corrupted. Cannot uninstall.

As a backgrounder:
I acquired the virus & malwares and ran Avast. I then installed Spybot, scanned the computer, and let it do its job. Spybot wasn't updating and I thought it was part of the infection. But after the system's been cleaned, it still won't update (Avast and other AM/AV progs are updating and working just fine), and now I can't uninstall either.

Please help fix my Spybot installation

goingviral
2010-04-12, 04:12
I forgot to say that I uninstalled using Spybot's uninstall application.
I REinstalled because of the corrupt .dat file. I tried to update and again it didn't work, then uninstalled again and it still does not work.

goingviral
2010-04-12, 07:19
I fixed the uninstall and update issues. I copied the unins000.dat file from a working installation. I proceeded to uninstall and reinstall spybot. This time it updated. yay! But I still have the immunization issue.

There are 3 users on the computer: 2 admins and one standard. When I apply immunization it only applies to the me (admin user) and the other standard user. I'm referring to Firefox here. All of the IE Immunizations work. Am I supposed to log into the other account and apply immunization from that end?

spybotsandra
2010-04-12, 10:12
Hello,

Which windows version do you run?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

goingviral
2010-04-12, 18:09
Windows XP Pro SP3

spybotsandra
2010-04-13, 10:32
Hello,

Have you tried to log on under the user account where the immunization is not comple and immunize there? Which Firefox version is this?

There seems to be a problem with immunizing FireFox 3.5/3.6. After FireFox has been opened new, the immunization is gone.

We are aware of this issue and have it already in our bugtracker (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=384).

For now you use this workaround:

1. Open Firefox 3.5/3.6, go to Tools | Options | Privacy | Settings.
There uncheck the checkbox for "Site Preferences".

2. Open Firefox 3.5/3.6, go to Tools | Clear Recent History... OR press Ctrl+Shift+Del.
There uncheck the checkbox for "Site Preferences".

For more informations please have a look at this link in our forum (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=49881).

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot