PDA

View Full Version : Basic question: Spybot vs antivirus

webmailusr-msn
2010-04-13, 01:32
Hello:

This is a simple question but I didn't find a concrete answer in the forums:
How is spybot different of an antivirus? Usually, big antivirus "promise" they also detect and remove spyware... is spybot only a kind of "specialized" antivirus? if not, how does it complement my safety?

Thanks!

drragostea
2010-04-13, 03:51
Spybot-Search&Destroy is not an anti-virus program because simply it does not search for viruses. :oreo:
Some users may interchange the term spyware with virus, malware with virus, spyware with virus; you understand the idea.

Spybot-SD scans for trojans, some rootkits, bots, keyloggers, PUPs, and spyware. It does not scan for viruses.

Spybot's technique of scanning does not consist of scanning every file (I have not answered this type of question for so long, but I think it was Patrick Kolla that might have said it took too long. That was a maybe); personally I think it takes too long too. Instead Spybot scans different areas of your machine (this part is somewhat difficult to put into words) and pieces up the results together like a puzzle, and you get a result.

So far Spybot has hundreds and thousands of fingerprints [of malicious software] which are updated weekly.

webmailusr-msn
2010-04-13, 05:21
Yeah, I absolutely agree, probably I did not explain correctly my question: Many commercial antivirus software claims to detect and possibly remove malware that is not virus... so if I get that software (for example, Norton), why would I want sb s&d?

drragostea
2010-04-13, 05:40
A general rule of thumb is that it is usually best to have one of each, in this case an anti-virus program and anti-spyware program. Why? Rather because anti-virus programs are primarily engaged to fight viruses. Yes it is true, that AV companies are now integrating anti-spyware components in the program too but no AV does a "good enough" job as a dedicated spyware remover. Sure you can have Norton Anti-Virus fight some malware for you, but it is more optimized for viruses.

You see, anti-virus vendors offer anti-spyware components into their anti-virus product, so it is a little goodie and add-on (which is good). But my point is that full fledged anti-spyware programs are meant to do their job.

webmailusr-msn
2010-04-13, 06:50
A general rule of thumb is that it is usually best to have one of each, in this case an anti-virus program and anti-spyware program. Why? Rather because anti-virus programs are primarily engaged to fight viruses. Yes it is true, that AV companies are now integrating anti-spyware components in the program too but no AV does a "good enough" job as a dedicated spyware remover. Sure you can have Norton Anti-Virus fight some malware for you, but it is more optimized for viruses.

You see, anti-virus vendors offer anti-spyware components into their anti-virus product, so it is a little goodie and add-on (which is good). But my point is that full fledged anti-spyware programs are meant to do their job.

OK that's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks very much!
:thanks: