PDA

View Full Version : Perplexed with some malware that cannot be detected...help!

havingaheadache
2010-05-05, 03:16
Hi All,

I am being plagued by malware I cannot even detect. I was hit by a trojan about a week ago and since then my browsers (both Firefox and IE8) are working a bit odd.

Symptoms:
* Once in awhile a pop up window or tab shows up on both browsers with ads. Obviously there's adware somewhere hidden in my system.
* Windows update doesn't work by clicking on the tab or from the Microsoft page (the infamous "0x80072EFF" error message).

What I have done:
* Run my McAfee enough times and after the initial clean from the first attack, it's caught nothing.
* I installed other items like SuperAntiSpyware and Registry Convoy and Malwarebytes -- they all caught minor things, but they have not cleared the problem.
* I installed Spybot S&D of course and it caught a few more things, but the problems persist.

And all the software are completely up-to-date and I have run all of them numerous times to clean scans.

I am utterly perplexed. As a seasons computer user (my first computer was a Apple IIe in the early 1980s) and one that have managed to self-fix previous issues, this one has utterly puzzled me.

Can anyone help??? Thanks!
m

tashi
2010-05-05, 06:12
Hello havingaheadache,

Please see this forum's FAQ and follow the instructions to post a preliminary DDS log: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Then start a new topic. :)

Best regards.