PDA

View Full Version : Web browsing slow

Grewy13
2010-05-06, 22:43
Hi There,

Here is a description of the problem:

Web browsing became recently very, very slow. Some pages take 1-3 minutes to load; with the exception of the google search, google-news, -business, -tech summary pages, which load within a few seconds. Another computer connected to the same DSL line does not experience the same problem.

Here are some suspicions about the problem:

In the last few weeks I installed Adobe Reader v8.2.0.81 (still there),
Later downloaded and installed CCleaner v2.3.1130 (no longer there; did a restore to before installing CCleaner).
Updated Spybot&SD v1.62 signature files (now over 1.2m entries).
Did a disk cleanup & disk-defrag.

What's on the computer to avoid problems & what I tried to do about it (with no luck so far):

Avira AntiVir v9.0.0.422 with Guard Active, search engine v8.02.01.236 up-to- date 5-5-10, Virus def. file v7.10.07.46 up-to-date 5-5-10
System scan did not find any problems (Safe Mode)
(There is an old deactivated NAV still on the system)

Malewarebytes' Antimalware v1.45.0.0
Scan did not find any problems (Safe Mode)

Spybot&SD v1.62
Scan found no threats (took 2h5min)
Not Immunized in this scan (on previous scans immunized)
Spybot-SD Resident is running (Teatimer)
I tried running without Spybot-SD Resident, but no improvement

CWShredder v2.19.0.1099
Found no problems (Safe Mode)

Hijackthis v2.0.0.2 (just now, while trying to see the properties for the version-#, the system behaved very strangely, slow to open properties. The same happened while trying to see properties of Antimalware (see above).
Did a scan only....some of the entries I don't know if they should be there.

Did a IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS
In C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts
IPCONFIG /DISPLAYDNS:
the file ~ 373KB, 372KB of it entries from Spybot&SD

Loaded IE8 without any Add-ons - web-browsing this way made no difference in web-page loading. One more thing, when opening a new empty tab in IE8 (blank page), in the address line the following is there: (the "e" logo & about:blank).

Windows Task Manager:
When starting out with IE8, there are about 55 processes running. When loading the Google news web page (few seconds) the CPU usage reaches about 65%. Then when clicking on a link (eg. Reuters news article), the CPU usage reaches 100% & it can take a couple of minutes to load the page. While this happens the 2(two) processes using the most CPU usage are: System (SYSTEM) ~80% and iexplore.exe (Owner) ~20%. There are 2+ iexplore.exe & 7+ svchost.exe running. PF usage is ~502MB, Commit charge - Total is ~500k.

In addition to slow web-page loading I find that opening some directories takes a long time. Some of them are large, but I don't know if this is an additional problem caused by some hidden bug. System Information (start - all programs - accessories - system tools) takes ages to open. Some applications also are slow to open. All this seems to contribute to the overall sluggishness of the computer.

Here is the computer having the problem(s): (I know, I know, its an old e-machines, ca. 4y old):

eMachines T3256, AMD Athlon 3200, 2.2GHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD (44%free)
MS winXP home v5.1.2600 service pack 3 build 2600 current on updates
IE8.

At this point I don't know what else to do and I hope with the provided information you could help me solving this problem.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

tashi
2010-05-06, 23:04
Hello Grewy13,

Can you produce a DDS log as detailed here: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

If so please start a new thread, copy paste the DDS log into it and a volunteer analyst will advise you when available. :)

Also provide a link back to this topic which is: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=57215

Best regards.

tashi
2010-05-07, 02:07
Log split off to: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=57218

:)