PDA

View Full Version : Latest update kills Spybot on XP

WingFinger
2010-05-09, 08:03
I'm running Spybot 1.6.2.46 on XP SP3.

Everything works fine until I install the latest "!Most up-to-date detections 5MB 2010-05-05" update. After installing that update, Spybot freezes near the end of the "loading" progress bar. I've let it run for up to an hour before killing it with Task Manager but it never gets past there.

I've unistalled/reinstalled several times, run several malware scans, updated everything I can think of yet the problem remains. If I install all updates except the latest 5MB update, it loads immediately and everything works normally.

Any ideas?

spybotsandra
2010-05-10, 16:50
Hello,

Which other security tools do you have installed?
Did you close your browser while working with Spybot?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

spybotsandra
2010-05-11, 11:22
Hello,

Please edit the shortcut icon on your desktop that is used to run Spybot-S&D.
Rightclick the icon and choose properties.
Then include a /verbose (with a space tab in front) in it's link location at "Target".
"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /verbose
To see how to do that please have a look at this link (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=23560) in our forum.
Or have a look at this "how to flash tutorial" (http://www.safer-networking.org/flash/howto/howto-spybotsd-enable-verbose-en.htm).
When you do a scan now, it will show an 8 digit number in the status bar at the bottom, like $1234ABCD.
Please mail that information to our detectives team under: detections(at)spybot.info
They can use this information to look up where exactly it hangs. Thanks.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

WingFinger
2010-05-12, 08:47
Hi Sandra,

At the moment I've uninstalled all security software on the PC, including Spybot. I'll reinstall it tomorrow and follow your /verbose instructions.

FWIW, it seems to be a problem specific to this machine - I've run the update on a few other XP machines without any problem.

Thanks.

WingFinger
2010-05-12, 22:10
No change... it never gets past the "Loading Spybot - Search & Destroy..." progress bar. I tried to grab a screenshot but the machine is pretty much unusable until I end the process.

WingFinger
2010-05-16, 05:12
Disregard this thread. Machine returned to owner minus Spybot S&D.