PDA

View Full Version : Will not Immunize as administrator and removal problemm shuts down after removalll

DLGolfs
2010-05-09, 15:27
I am the administrator, I did right click and made it "run as" the adminstrator. At first, it immunized all, then it did not , it did not immunize an Internet file and all the global hosts.
Now what?
Also, when I do a scan and I ask it to delete all the files, it shuts down and then when I do another scan they are there again!
So I don't think it is deleting them.
What should I do?

spybotsandra
2010-05-10, 17:04
Hello,

1. Some users have reported that they use SpySweeper or SpywareBlaster and shutting them down solves the problem. ZoneAlarm might also block the global hosts. If you go to Firewall in ZoneAlarm on the left and then the main tab in the upper right then go down to the advance button and click on it you will see under General setting "Lock Hosts file".

Further please try the following:
Open Spybot > Immunize > under Windows uncheck Global (Hosts). Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts file > and then click on the "Add Spybot S&D hosts list" button. Go back into Spybot > Immunize

The problem that not all global host entries have been immunized has also been discussed in our forum:
Can't immunize some items? (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=18122&highlight=immunize+global)
Immunize won't do all - Global (Hosts) not complete (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=19314&highlight=immunize+global)
Cannot immunize 6370 Global (Hosts) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=17913&highlight=immunize+global)

2. What are the name of the found problems? Were that cookies?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

DLGolfs
2010-05-10, 19:15
There are a ton of files that it finds, only one red one, which is my firewall. I don't use the XP one so it gives me an error.

I usually just delete them all, some say cookies. But it says 'are you sure that you want to delete them" and I say yes, then it shuts down. I looked at the processes and it is shut down.

It did not do this in the past, a year ago. I don't think it is deleting them b/c when I do a scan right away they are all stilll there.

I guess I don't see the use in using it if it does not delete something you ask it to do. any suggestions?

DLGolfs
2010-05-10, 19:16
I have to wait until I get home to do the "hosts" instructions.

spybotsandra
2010-05-11, 09:50
Hello,

Please disable all other security programs that you run and close all other programs during the work with Spybot - Search & Destroy.

Also run a scan in safe mode (http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm). That should fix it.

It should also help to deactivate the scanning for usage tracks and Cookies.
Please run Spybot-S&D and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode". Now select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the navigation bar on the left. The checkboxes in front of "Usage tracking, Beta.uti, NewTracks.uti and Tracks.uti" have to be unticked if you do not want to find usage tracks anymore. For excluding Cookies from the search deactivate the checkbox in front of Cookies.sbi.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

DLGolfs
2010-05-23, 13:52
I run Spybot, there are problems, all are NOT red; I check them all (might as well get rid of them, if Spybot found them then they must have some threat,right? )
It then asks me if I really want to remove these? I say "yes" .

I click "ok" and then spybot begins to delete them, after only one is deleted, then Spybot shuts down, that it. I go back to my desktop.

I run the scan again and there are all the problems that I supposely removed.
I have used this in the past and have never had this problem.

DLGolfs
2010-05-23, 14:03
YOu say disable usage tracks and cookies....then why am I running Spybot if I don't scan those items? Seams to me that those items is what Spybot SHOULD acan to find malware, right? I am confused by your response....:sick:

DLGolfs
2010-05-23, 14:12
I just noticed,now it will immunize any domains, never did that in the past either.....I am running as the administrator and did that right before the scan

DLGolfs
2010-05-25, 00:34
Sorry, I meant it will NOT immunize domains either.

spybotsandra
2010-05-25, 13:30
Hello,

Please open regedit with admin rights (Start>type 'regedit' in search bar>right-click and select 'Run as administrator')

open:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap
or on a x86/32bit system:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap
and delete the folder 'Domains'.

If this refuses to delete, right-click and select 'Permissions...', select your username from the list (or find it by clicking Add...>Advanced...>Find Now and then select your username and click OK). Then tick the Allow boxes, click OK and delete.

You can now open Spybot and select Immunize, and once it has scanned, select Immunize at the top.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

DLGolfs
2010-05-26, 12:40
That did not work; I made a backup of the registry before I did it.
Also, I closed spybot after the immunization did not work and it opened back up on its own.

I am going to delete the progrem and reinstall it and see if that works.

DL

DLGolfs
2010-05-26, 16:08
Looks like my other post did not make it.

What you said to do , did not work, sorry, still domains are not immunized.

I uninstalled the software and reinstalled it. Now it still does not immunize the domains AND when I try to 'run as" the administrator I get an error that the spybotsd.exe is not in programs, etc.

And, yes it is not there

Now what?

spybotsandra
2010-05-26, 16:12
Hello,

Please check if it is hidden:
* Using Windows Explorer navigate to:
o C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
* In the Tools menu select Folder Options
* In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
* Uncheck the following option:
o Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
* Click the Apply button.
* Click the OK button.
* The SpybotSD.exe should be visible now.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

DLGolfs
2010-05-27, 19:51
Nah, that didn't work. EXE files are not normally hidden anyway are they?

spybotsandra
2010-05-28, 09:39
Hello,

The SpybotSD.exe and the TeaTimer.exe are hidden.

We recommend a fresh install of Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Please uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy according to the following link (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html).
Then make a fresh install of Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6.2 (http://www.spybotupdates.com/files/spybotsd162.exe).

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

DLGolfs
2010-05-28, 22:26
WHen I reinstalled I got an error that the tools.dll file is read only

I continued and it did not work

Now what?