PDA

View Full Version : Is TeaTimer still relevant

surv1v0r
2010-05-14, 11:28
With the added restrictions imposed by the latest versions of Windows (e.g. Vista & v7) is TeaTimer still relevant?

It seems (based on studying Taks Manager) to use up an awful lot of system resources and I wondered whether TeaTimer still had any value?

spybotsandra
2010-05-14, 11:41
Hello,

The TeaTimer ist still relevant.

When the computer is running for a long time without a standby, reboot, or shutdown memory consumption of a (refers to any) can slightly increase.

It's taking that much because TeaTimer is a Resident Shield that actively protects you from malware. I would suggest you reboot and see how it goes. Usually TeaTimer will take up 35-50MB of RAM. Seeing that modern PCs built today have more RAM and resources, 80MB should be nothing.

If you do not want to use the resident TeaTimer you can disable TeaTimer as follows:
- Go into Spybot - Mode - Advanced Mode - Tools - Resident.
- Uncheck the following: Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

surv1v0r
2010-05-14, 14:29
Thanks for that, I wasn't really talking so much about RAM utilisation; as you say, most modern PCs have plenty of RAM.

What I was concerned about was the fact that if my PC seems to be running slow and I fire up Task Manager, I often find that TeaTimer seems for some reason to be taking up a lot of CPU time - I'm just not sure what it is doing, why and whether it really helps protect me.

I'm certainly not complaining about Spybot S&D or even TeaTimer; just curious as to whether it is still really relevant - I never get prompts from it.

spybotsandra
2010-05-17, 10:02
Hello,

This is the new way of monitoring by TeaTimer. To return to the "old" way of monitoring right click on TeaTimer and change it to "Paranoid Mode".
This thread (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=46937) has more details on the new TeaTimer.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot