PDA

View Full Version : Host Access Denied

Arconsin
2010-05-15, 03:37
Situation :

Received a computer from a coworker they wanted me to work on. Got a nasty virus in it, which prevented MalwareBytes/Spybot from flat out running. Got the easy work around with CCleaner (stopped the loadup program, reboot, Safe Mode). Was able to run the program's.

Malware was able to run fine removed the Malware related problems, 618 of them. Reboot. (Ran Full Scan, software fully updated)

Run Spybot. 151 issues. Fix Problems. Cleared all but 18. The 18 it couldn't clear comes up with this lovely message :

Unexpected Error in Fixing Problems
(Cannot create file
"C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\hosts". Access is denied)

The entries are :
Fraud.WindowsProtectionSuite (15 entries Malware)
Microsoft.Windows.RedirectedHosts (3 entries Security C)

Under the Fraud.WindowsProtectionSuite most of the sub entries under this are:

Redirected host (all of them for Kind)

(SBI $B197733A) Redirected host
[Random Website]=74.125.45.100

Under the Microsoft.Windows.RedirectedHosts all Sub's are {Kind : Redirected Host, with 74.125.45.100 ip, format similar to the Fraud, just diffrent SBI numbers and Random Websites.

I have done some google searching, found alot of similar issues to mine, and tried some of the fix's, but to no resolve. The issues started with a 'program/Virus' installed itself named 'My Security Engine'.

So if anyone would be so kind as to help me, it would be most helpful.

tashi
2010-05-15, 18:42
Hello Arconsin,

Situation :

Received a computer from a coworker they wanted me to work on.
Is this a work computer? :)

I have done some google searching, found alot of similar issues to mine, and tried some of the fix's, but to no resolve.
Which fixes did you try?

Best regards,

Arconsin
2010-05-16, 03:02
Hello Arconsin,

Is this a work computer? :)

Which fixes did you try?

Best regards,

Yes the computer is working (its actually a laptop).

Tried doing a host.bat access file. tried replacing the host file's (got denied access on doing this), tried running hijackthis. Ran something that involved the command prompt, bringing up a blue screen with alot of website things on it (cant recall what it was off the top of my head). All this to no avail.

But im willing to start back from scratch on fixing this, and go step by step

tashi
2010-05-16, 03:39
Hi Arconsin,

I meant work computer as in a computer from/in the workplace. :)

Originally Posted by Arconsin http://forums.spybot.info/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=371140#post371140)
Situation :

Received a computer from a coworker they wanted me to work on.
Best regards.

Arconsin
2010-05-16, 05:41
O, sorry. No its not a work computer anymore. It was given to her while in the military, and after she got out, they let her keep it, so its hers. I just do all the computer work in the shop were at, but this one just has me stumped

tashi
2010-05-16, 05:48
Hi Arconsin;371241

Thank you for the clarification. :)

I just do all the computer work in the shop were at, but this one just has me stumped

Please see Personal computers or..... (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=25712&postcount=5) so we are all on the same track.

Best regards.

Arconsin
2010-05-17, 18:48
Ok let me clarify something.

The computer is a personal, non-work related computer. Maybe i miscommunicated that. The people I work with are computer dummies. So when they have personal computer issues at home, they often call me over to fix it. In this case it just happen to be a laptop i could take home. Im not trying to use these forums as a 'Im getting paid, but cant fix the problem' situation. I'm doing this for a friend for free.

Sorry for any confusion

tashi
2010-05-17, 19:44
Hi Arconsin,

Thank you for clarifying, please see this forum's FAQ and follow the instructions to post a preliminary DDS log: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

If DDS won't run please start a new thread anyway, make note of the situation and a volunteer analyst will advise you when available.

Best regards. :)