PDA

View Full Version : Can't Logon After Spybot Run

ShipSD
2010-05-15, 21:17
Hope this is in right place. Long time S&D user here never a problem :) Son stopped by with his laptop today with a Malware problem. Was one of those that changes the Desktop Wallpaper with big "you have Malware problem", lots of pop-up windows that appear to be from Windows saying machine was infected, etc. Any attempt to open Security Center caused a window saying application was infected yada yada. He wasn't running any Spyware or Anti-Virus, why did I have kids again? :), programs, which is why my first stop was Spybot before I DL and installed an AV.

First thing I did was hit Spybot site, DL Spybot, and install. Ran Update then Full Scan. It found and fixed 54 problems. I next tried to reboot the machine to see if all the extraneous garbage was gone and....well, as they say, that's when the stuff hit the revolving blades. Every time I boot the machine and pick any UserID, including Administrator, to Logon, it brings up a desktop wallpaper for maybe a second then I see the Windows "Logging Off" and "Saving user settings" and I'm back to the User login screen.

Tried starting in Safe Mode & "from last known good configuration" and still the same. He's running Windows XP SP2 on an HP notebook. Any and all information, help, or guidance greatly appreciated. I'm not too bad with PCs but am totally stumped with this.

Thx all in advance.