PDA

View Full Version : Cannot run <update> within Spybot

DougVieques
2010-05-15, 21:38
Many years of satisfactory service including weekly updates and immunization have me puzzled now as to why the program will not update. I get a message box that says "Please select some files from update list" immediately after clicking on the update box. I downloaded the complete program 1.6.2 including updates and it ran fine and gave me the usual Kaspersky program which I fixed and then re-immunized the computer. There are no other signs of infection. I use Kaspersky and keep it up to date. I ran a deep scan recently with that and did a suggested update of Adobe Reader to 9.something. I also use Spyware blaster and Windows Defender (worthless, of course) but am presently mystified. Any suggestions?
Doug

dlwoodworks
2010-05-16, 18:53
Interesting. I have the same problem. The 'Search for Updates' button no longer responds to being clicked. For some reason, I can't get updates anymore. :sad:

Any ideas on how to fix this?

spybotsandra
2010-05-26, 13:20
Hello,

It seems to be a problem with the compatibility under Windows Vista.
You can solve the problem as follows:

1. Download this new SDUpdate.exe (http://www.spybotupdates.biz/files/beta/SDUpdate.exe-1.6.1.19.zip#hash(md5:A0E7FDF5E87CCE18C46C6B6676996FFA).

To use this beta file, extract the downloaded archive into the main application folder (usually C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\) and replace the old file with the new one.

2. If this does not help go to your SDUpdate.exe file in your program folder: 
C:\Program Files\ Spybot - Search & Destroy\

Rightclick the file and choose properties.
Then choose the tab compatibilty.
There activate the checkbox in front of "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select from the drop down menu "WindowsXP". Now click "Apply" and "OK".

That should fix the problem.

This problem has also been discussed in our forum (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=296467#post296467).

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot