PDA

View Full Version : Spybot freezes, malware related...how to fix?

bjonesy
2010-05-20, 23:52
Hi, I'm new here, and new to Spybot as well; I just downloaded it on a friends recommendation. I installed it, updated it, and started running it. Almost immediately I see: "Fraud.Sysguard 6 entries MalwareC", and then a little later: "Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled 1 entries Security".

The scan continues for a little while, until it gets to: "Running bot-check (157439/1311702: Fraud.UPSInvoice)", where it freezes, and I can't click and run anything afterward. I've tried it twice.

Am I in the right place to get help? Can someone help me??

Thanks!

spybotsandra
2010-05-21, 09:12
Hello,

Please disable all other security programs that you run and close all other programs during the work with Spybot - Search & Destroy.

Also run a scan in safe mode (http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm). That should fix it.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

bjonesy
2010-05-21, 15:45
The only security software I have is Norton 2010. I pressed F8 and booted into safe mode (the one without networking). Once in safe mode, I tried to open Norton to disable it, but it gave me this message:

"Some features may be unavailable when running in Safe Mode. Would you like to perform a Full System Scan now?"

...does that mean it's already disabled?...because it wouldn't open.

So, I started running Spybot, and I'm having the same exact issue as before, where it freezes trying to check 157439/1311702: Fraud.UPSInvoice.

Is there something else I can try?

bjonesy
2010-05-21, 20:08
I just want to say, in case someone else has this issue - I started running this scan about 4 hours ago, and decided to just leave it until I could think of something to do. Spybot JUST bypassed Fraud.UPSInvoice and resumed scanning. I don't know what was holding it up either, because it didn't even find anything!

Weird...very weird.

bjonesy
2010-05-21, 20:29
The scan just finished and found nothing. What's with the 4 hour pause?

I guess I'm clean, but that sure did scare me for a minute.