PDA

View Full Version : Improve spyBot S&D resources usuage

sebon
2006-07-12, 09:43
Spybot S&D is heavy on resources
If i start my computer then open spybot S&D
my resources drops by 2 bars (windows resources meter)
At other times sat i have been using the comp for awhile and the meter is showing one green bar or is yellow -i dare not use it

This means i rarely use SB S&D
I have also removed teatimer from the startup as it causes my computer to freeze --If left idle say i leave it for downloading stuff

Using
SBS&D 1.4
Sytem specs
AMD 1.33Ghz
Winme

sebon
2006-07-12, 10:01
Spybot uses too much resources. Just to open it immediately after startup causes the the 4 green bars on my resources meter to drop down to 2

At startup -i only have Avast anti virus and norton disk doctor running(norton will quit after scanning my drives leaving just avast)

If my comp has been running for awhilw and i have 1 green bar/or yellow bar
running SB would be risky

Also Teatimer cannot be lefton . If system is idle ie no typing/mouse manipulation tahe system will freeze.
That means you cant leave it on and go away for any length of time eg to download files
That needs to be addressed

using winME
AMD 1.33Ghz

Zenobia
2006-07-12, 20:29
Not to take away from your topic here,but as an aside,I thought you might like to see this topic,where you have WindowsME...
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=28501&postcount=5
Also here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/support/endofsupport.mspx

bitman
2006-07-13, 08:10
And also note that Windows XP doesn't have the resource limitations that existed in all Windows 9x based OS versions, including Windows ME.

At this point Spybot is probably one of the leanest anti-spyware applications that exists. However, the requirements of modern programs have simply become to much for the archaic design of these earlier operating systems.

It would be nice to believe you could use these older OS forever, but the reality is now that Microsoft has dropped support, most other vendors will to. In fact, a few have already announced that fact, and it's doubtful that any major commercial US firm will be supporting even old versions on these OS within a few months.

sebon
2006-07-15, 18:31
Thanks for your reply,
i got WinME as XP needed a better spec.
Maybe if i get a newer comp?
XP is bloated, Vista is going to be worse
I just want a light OS that does the basics
XP is winNT(win2000) tarted up.

IF push comes to shove i will go to one of the easy install linux

noel-pr7
2006-07-20, 00:15
Thanks for your reply,
i got WinME as XP needed a better spec.
Maybe if i get a newer comp?
XP is bloated, Vista is going to be worse
I just want a light OS that does the basics
XP is winNT(win2000) tarted up.

IF push comes to shove i will go to one of the easy install linux

I hate to say it, sebon, but Spybot S&D is not Linux compatible :( sorry.
why not use win2000? it's less bloated than xp and some people stick with win2k instead of upgrading to winxp.