PDA

View Full Version : scan from right-click/context menu in Windows 7?

brynn
2010-05-25, 21:27
Hi Friends,
On my XP desktop computer, I have 'Scan with Spybot S&D" in the context/right-click menu. But on my new Windows 7 laptop, there is no such option. I like to use it to scan newly downloaded files, before installation.

I've searched these forums, but find the search feature difficult to use. Sorry, but I did try. I also opened S&D and looked for some kind of setting to enable, but didn't find anything there either.

So my questions -- is scanning from the context/right-click menu available for Windows 7 and/or 64 bit computers? If so, how do I enable it?

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help :)

spybotsandra
2010-05-26, 09:25
Hello,

Spybot version 1.6 had the single files scan in the context menu. But there were so many complaints that we have decided to hide this feature in our new Spybot version 1.6.2.

You have to activate it manually.
Enter your "Start" Windows panel on the lower left, choose "run" and enter the following command line parameter to activate it:
"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDFiles.exe" /register

After that you'll get a notification that the command was successfull executed.

Now you can rightclick on a file and click on the tab SpybotS&D.
The single file will be scanned.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

brynn
2010-05-27, 18:18
Hhhmm, either I have not found the right "Run", or there is some other problem. I'm still learning Windows 7. In XP, the Run window can be accessed right on the Start menu. But I don't see it in Windows 7. I searched "Run" and did find the little window that looks just like the on I'm used to on XP. I'm pretty sure it's what you're intending, but not positive.

When I enter the text in the little Run window, I get an error message:
"Windows cannot find ""C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDFiles.exe"" Please make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again."

When I installed Spybot S&D, it was installed in Program Files (X86). So I tried adding (x86) to the text you provided, but got the same result with the error message.

Any ideas what might be going wrong?
Thanks again :)

spybotsandra
2010-05-28, 09:29
Hello,

We recommend a fresh install of Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Please uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy according to the following link (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html).
Then make a fresh install of Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6.2 (http://www.spybotupdates.com/files/spybotsd162.exe).

So at the fresh install of Spybot:
1. select the language, the click OK,
2. then click Next,
3. accept the license agreement, click next,
4. select the destination location, click next,
5. then select components, TICK THE CHECKBOX IN FRONT OF "EXPLORER FILE SCAN PLUGIN (IN FILE CONTEXT MENU)

Then perform the other installation steps.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

brynn
2010-05-31, 17:52
Thank you Sandra :thanks:
Problem solved!