PDA

View Full Version : Lost network connection and various other things

novacasa
2010-05-28, 06:06
I've had Spybot installed for several years now and been fairly happy with it. Some friends have been getting their email hijacked lately so I thought I should run Spy Bot to make sure I was clean since it had been a while since the last time I ran it.

Well, after updating the definition files and successfully running the scan, I can no longer see my home network, my screen settings and some application settings are different, my audio stopped working and who knows what else. :sad:

I did not run Tea Timer but did run a full Immunization. Only a couple of things were picked up in the scan and I have recovered/undone those. I have since tried to uninstall/reinstall Spybot but no luck.

It's obvious that my scan and immunization is blocking a ton of functionality, so the question is..... how do I undo all of it and get back to normal.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Carlos

novacasa
2010-05-28, 06:32
I forgot to mention that when I click "View Network Connections" it comes up empty and if I click "Setup a home or small office network" it ignores the click. If I click "Change Windows Firewall settings" it responds with "...cannot be displayed...associated service is not running". If I try starting it, it says "Windows can not start.....service"

novacasa
2010-05-28, 21:57
Thanks for the suggestion to run Immunize again and then "Undo". I tried it but no luck. :hair: The machine is still totally locked down. Basically I need to undo all the changes that Spybot did when it ran Immunize the first time around this week.

novacasa
2010-05-31, 16:24
Sadly, I have not been able to find a solution to "undoing" the "lockdown" so.... I'm left with no choice but to restore the HDD from an a few weeks back. I have to go through some intermediate steps like, installing Windows onto seperate drive, then booting to that drive while disconnecting the original so that I can modify the BIOS to boot from CD/DVD. Then, plugging it back in as a non boot sequence drive in order to restore to it. There are far more steps in this than I care for given that at each step..... something could go wrong.

I'm still interested in alternatives to a full restore in the scary event this ever happens again.