PDA

View Full Version : The FBI called...

KimHoJo
2010-05-29, 08:04
...and told me a computer at my IP address was infected, spreading infection to other computers, and uploading info to a foreign site. (Seemed real enough; they contacted my parents out-of-state to verify my contact info when they couldn't reach me.) Supposed to have a face-to-face after the holidays, but I'll be damned if I can figure out where the problem lies and wondered if someone here could point me in the right direction.

There are 4 computers on the wireless home network and all seem to be running fine. Antivirus software and Windows are updated, no P2P programs installed, and scans with antivirus/Spybot/Adaware seem clean. Anything else I should look for?

tashi
2010-05-29, 09:05
Hello KimHoJo,

...and told me a computer at my IP address was infected, spreading infection to other computers, and uploading info to a foreign site. (Seemed real enough; they contacted my parents out-of-state to verify my contact info when they couldn't reach me.)
Supposed to have a face-to-face after the holidays, but I'll be damned if I can figure out where the problem lies and wondered if someone here could point me in the right direction.

As I'm sure you know, the FBI is a federal criminal investigative body. It's not that we don't want to help but such computer forensics are a legal matter and out of the realm of any advice we can offer here.

Perhaps your Internet Service Provider (ISP) could shed some light on the situation.

Best regards. :)

KimHoJo
2010-05-29, 17:14
I was so certain that antivirus/malaware scans would find a problem that I never considered contacting the ISP. Good advice, but the ISP didn't see anything flagged in my account and suggested doing everything I'd already done. The only other idea I've come up with is that problem was caused by a computer piggybacking off my router, so I'll be changing the password.

I posted in this forum just to make sure I'd taken all the obvious steps to clean up any infection. Spybot S&D has been a great resource and advice from these boards has helped fix my computers on more than one occasion. You probably don't hear it enough, but thanks for the service you provide. :bigthumb:

tashi
2010-05-29, 18:54
Thank you for your kind words KimHoJo. :)

The only other idea I've come up with is that problem was caused by a computer piggybacking off my router, so I'll be changing the password.

Very good idea. Hope everything turns out OK.

Best regards