PDA

View Full Version : SpyBot Freezing

PeowPeowx
2006-07-14, 03:43
K well, i check for problems right. And then i go to fix selected problems or whatever it is, and then it does a little bit and freezes. I've tried about 20 times, and the same result every time.

I'm not too keen about vacuuming the computer :I im not the best with computers.. and i'd rather see my options before i decide to maybe have a go.. is it maybe better to pay $45 to get a computer guy to my place to fix this? or would it be easier to just do it myself. What can I do?

youngbuck
2006-07-14, 05:17
I have either the same problem, or a similar problem. When running Spybot S&D, my computer always hangs when on the CoolWWWSearch.Feat2DLL. As far as I know, this is the only problem I have with this computer, so I'm not sure why it's doing it, other than that it is some self defense mechanism of the spy/malware.

My motherboard and cpu temps are perfectly fine, and there isn't excess dust collected inside the case.

I even narrowed it down by selecting only a few different file sets to scan each time. Spybot will finish scanning with all of the file sets selected, until I select the Hijackers.sbi. On when this is selected does Spybot freeze. And by freeze, I mean that my computer completely freezes, the mouse and keyboard do not respond, and that's how it stays no matter how long I leave it.

:(

PeowPeowx
2006-07-14, 06:54
Awe. I feel your pain. There were so many problems detected on my computer, mostly because I havent cleaned it up for a while. && my computer's been particularly laggy lately.. So i was thinking that maybe spyware or something was the problem. I've never had trouble with spybot before, so this is kind of strange. But i just want to get it fixed.

md usa spybot fan
2006-07-14, 14:35
PeowPeowx:

Please see if the suggestions made by spybotsandra (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=5) in the following thread help:
Spybot hangs when deleting
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=5299
If that does not work you could try to run Spybot in Safe mode (see Note #1) and see if that works.

Note #1: To reboot your system in Safe mode see:
Starting your computer in Safe mode (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_nam)

md usa spybot fan
2006-07-14, 14:47
youngbuck:

Hangs while scanning for CoolWWWSearch.Feat2DLL have been noted by others. Consider posting in the Malware Removal forum and having someone take a look at your system to see if they can determine the cause of the problem.

Follow the instructions outlined in the following reference:
BEFORE you POST. Preliminary Steps. Please READ to avoid assistance being delayed
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
Then start a new thread (topic) in the following forum:
Malware Removal
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22
Note: Describe the problem you are having and include the HijackThis log and the on-line Anti Virus scan log/report produced when following instruction above.

PeowPeowx
2006-07-15, 12:41
I tried all of Sandra's options but each time, spybot just froze.

PeowPeowx
2006-07-15, 12:42
Oops double post, but I'll try the safe mode now. See if that works.

PeowPeowx
2006-07-16, 01:58
Okay, I tried in safe mode and it actually found no threats :I But then i searched again when it was normal and it still found heaps. Bah?

md usa spybot fan
2006-07-16, 14:43
PeowPeowx:

Please post a log of the actual detections you are getting. To do that:
Run another scan.
When the scan completes, right click on the results list, select "Copy results to clipboard".
Then paste those results to a new post in this thread.
Thanks

PeowPeowx
2006-07-17, 12:07
kk.

Quite a few people use my computer, so I don't know what they do most of the time :I

DoubleClick: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Sonia) (Cookie, nothing done)

SexTracker: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Sonia) (Cookie, nothing done)

TargetNet: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Sonia) (Cookie, nothing done)

Commission Junction: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Sonia) (Cookie, nothing done)

Cassava: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Sonia) (Cookie, nothing done)

HitBox: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Sonia) (Cookie, nothing done)

CasaleMedia: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Sonia) (Cookie, nothing done)

Advertising.com: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Sonia) (Cookie, nothing done)

FastClick: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Sonia) (Cookie, nothing done)

MediaPlex: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Sonia) (Cookie, nothing done)

Winfixer: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Sonia) (Cookie, nothing done)

ValueClick: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Sonia) (Cookie, nothing done)

Avenue A, Inc.: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Sonia) (Cookie, nothing done)

ErrorSafe: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Sonia) (Cookie, nothing done)

SexList: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Sonia) (Cookie, nothing done)

BFast: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Sonia) (Cookie, nothing done)

CoreMetrics: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Sonia) (Cookie, nothing done)

Winfixer: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Sonia) (Cookie, nothing done)

HitsLink: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Sonia) (Cookie, nothing done)

Winsoftware.WinAntiVirusPro2006: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Sonia) (Cookie, nothing done)

LinkSynergy: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Sonia) (Cookie, nothing done)

Avenue A, Inc.: Tracking cookie (Firefox: default) (Cookie, nothing done)

CasaleMedia: Tracking cookie (Firefox: default) (Cookie, nothing done)

DoubleClick: Tracking cookie (Firefox: default) (Cookie, nothing done)

FastClick: Tracking cookie (Firefox: default) (Cookie, nothing done)

--- Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.4 (build: 20050523) ---

2005-05-31 blindman.exe (1.0.0.1)
2005-05-31 SpybotSD.exe (1.4.0.3)
2005-05-31 TeaTimer.exe (1.4.0.2)
2006-07-12 unins000.exe (51.41.0.0)
2005-05-31 Update.exe (1.4.0.0)
2006-02-06 advcheck.dll (1.0.2.0)
2005-05-31 aports.dll (2.1.0.0)
2005-05-31 borlndmm.dll (7.0.4.453)
2005-05-31 delphimm.dll (7.0.4.453)
2005-05-31 SDHelper.dll (1.4.0.0)
2006-02-20 Tools.dll (2.0.0.2)
2005-05-31 UnzDll.dll (1.73.1.1)
2005-05-31 ZipDll.dll (1.73.2.0)
2006-07-07 Includes\Cookies.sbi (*)
2006-07-07 Includes\Dialer.sbi (*)
2006-07-07 Includes\Hijackers.sbi (*)
2006-07-07 Includes\Keyloggers.sbi (*)
2006-07-07 Includes\Malware.sbi (*)
2006-07-07 Includes\PUPS.sbi (*)
2006-07-07 Includes\Revision.sbi (*)
2006-07-07 Includes\Security.sbi (*)
2006-07-07 Includes\Spybots.sbi (*)
2005-02-17 Includes\Tracks.uti
2006-07-07 Includes\Trojans.sbi (*)

spybotsandra
2006-07-17, 14:39
Hello,

Doubleclick (and others like Advertising.com, Avenue A, Inc, CasaleMedia, Fastclick, Hitbox etc.) are so-called tracking cookies. It is quite common for popular websites to employ such tracking cookies from third parties. They use them in order to track the users' surfing habits on their websites. As I said, these cookies are from third parties but they are employed by the site. There is a tool in Spybot-S&D: BrowserHelper, i.e. a bad download blocker for Internet Explorer. With this tool enabled such tracking cookies will be blocked. In order to activate this tool, please run Spybot-S&D and go to the "Immunize" page. Checking the checkbox will enable the BrowserHelper, a drop down menu will appear giving you some options. You should select "Block all bad pages silently". With that option set the notifications will no longer come up, but you will still have the protection.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

md usa spybot fan
2006-07-17, 15:43
PeowPeowx:

Some additional information.

The hang during "Fix selected problems":
If you still had Internet Explorer running while attempting to fix the third party cookies (tracking cookies), it is possible that may had caused your hanging problem.
Tracking Cookies:
There is another way to prevent the downloading of Tracking Cookies in Internet Explorer (even those not blocked by Spybot's resident BHO) as well as the storing of Tracking Cookies in other WEB browsers. See:
Why do other anti-spyware applications detect so many more tracking cookies?
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=faq&detail=37
Not finding tracking cookies in Safe Mode:
When you indicated that no problems were detected when running in Safe Mode, I strongly suspected that you were detecting tracking cookies and that is why I asked to see a list of the problems you were attempting to fix. Although the entire system is scanned for most malware, due to restrictions in the Microsoft APIs (Application Program Interfaces) used by Spybot, the scan of Internet cache, cookies and some other user specific entries are only done for the user account that you are logged onto. In Safe Mode you are not logged onto a specific user account.

PeowPeowx
2006-07-18, 09:29
oh k cool. done that. but is there any way i can get that stuff that it detects off? :I sorry im not too shabby with computers.

md usa spybot fan
2006-07-18, 13:06
PeowPeowx:

To delete cookies see:
To delete a cookie
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sec_cook_del.mspx?mfr=true

PeowPeowx
2006-07-19, 04:15
awesome, fixed. thanks a bunch.