PDA

View Full Version : Not Sure Where to Start

drtufte
2010-06-18, 21:03
Please advise if I should post in another forum. Please advise where I should start gathering more information (I have already have a Hijack This log - attached). I'm not sure if the generic directions apply when I'm not sure if this is a malware problem.

I have a slow booting PC (XP, with all service packs).

I do not have unusual behavior other than this.

I am running Windows Security Essentials, Spybot, and Ad-Aware - all are reporting that I am OK. I am behind a router.

When I boot, I have heavy hard drive activity for 3-5 minutes. Process Hacker tells me it is mostly reads. Defragmented with no change. I would appreciate advice on how to test a hard drive, but I do not think this is the problem - I edit video on this PC, and once I am past this heavy read activity, my performance is fine.

In sum, it appears like this PC is reading heavily on boot up because it wants to, and it is happy with the results once it is done. Except that I don't know why it's doing this.

tashi
2010-06-18, 21:21
Hello drtufte,

If the computer showed signs of infection you would follow the instructions in this link on posting a preliminary DDS log: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Otherwise you could start a topic at a site where techs can help with computer problems. For instance: WTT 'General Hardware (http://forums.whatthetech.com/General_Hardware_f126.html)' forum.

Best regards. :)

drtufte
2010-06-19, 03:16
Does this constitute "a sign of infection"? That's kind of my point - I'm not sure what's going on here.

tashi
2010-06-19, 04:33
Hello drtufte,

Does this constitute "a sign of infection"? That's kind of my point - I'm not sure what's going on here.

I have a slow booting PC (XP, with all service packs).

I do not have unusual behavior other than this.

I am running Windows Security Essentials, Spybot, and Ad-Aware - all are reporting that I am OK. I am behind a router.

HJT logs lack the more detailed information provided in a DDS log, which is why we ask for the DDS log as a preliminary.

If you would like to post a DDS log please start a new topic as shown in my post above.

Best regards. :)