PDA

View Full Version : Possible conflict between Avast 5 free antivirus and Spybot 1.6.2

rob54
2010-06-23, 23:36
I have been running Spybot in its guises for years now. Since 2008 I have used Avast Home 4.8 free, and a couple days ago upgraded to Avast 5 free.

When the computer starts, I type the password for my account to continue and it hangs for maybe 30 seconds then continues but to a desktop only with no icons or taskbar. It hangs again, disc working away (so maybe not hanging - dwelling) for a similar time again before the taskbar and destop icons appear and start completes.

This 'hanging' I describe has only been since Avast 5 was installed. Now I'm very happy with the new Avast, but when I mentioned this on Avast forum two people blame Spybot without giving reasons and another reports the same symptoms as me.

So I thought a cross-check was in order here before consigning Spybot.

I should add the Spybot tends to find tracking cookies only whilst SuperAntiSpyware finds more things, but I had to stop using it as it nearly always freezes Windows. Also, before ungrading to Avast 5, Spybot froze Windows for the first time ever.

I'd appreciate any comments please.

Thanks

spybotsandra
2010-06-24, 12:22
Hello,

As you have those problems since Avast 5 was installed I do not see why Spybot should be the issue here.

There should not be any problems with the compatibility.
If some parts would conflict, just those parts could be disabled.

That's the way to to disable the resident feature of Spybot - Search & Destroy: run Spybot-S&D, switch to the "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" --> hit "YES" --> select "Tools" in the navigation bar on the left --> "Resident" and there you can untick the checkboxes in front of the two tools.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

rob54
2010-06-25, 02:08
Hello Sandra,

Many thanks for you answer which I didn't realise was there as I didn't have subscriptiopns switched on (have now). I was told in the Avast forum you had answered.

I couldn't really see why Avast should cause this thing. Howerer I did as you suggested. BTW I did already have the TeaTimer switched off. After switching of the SD Helper so that neither were ticked, I then rebooted. It made no difference (well might have been marginally quicker. I decided to reboot again after a couple minutes and it started up without the dwell.

Umm I suppose having SD Helper off is compromising the 'on the fly' protection afforded to IE. Is that right? How much will that affect the average user?

Thanks for your help.

spybotsandra
2010-06-25, 10:02
Hello,

Sounds like a problem with too many security programs (Avast Home, Avast Free, Comodo, Spybot, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) running in the background.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

rob54
2010-06-25, 14:00
Hello,

Sounds like a problem with too many security programs (Avast Home, Avast Free, Comodo, Spybot, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) running in the background.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Ah perhaps my sig. is a bit confusing (I've clarified now). I had Avast Home 4.8 until a few days ago when it was completely uninstalled and replaced by Avast Free 5. And that's were the suggestion of the interaction with Spybot came about and my question here. Comodo does run always, but Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is only when I want (it doesn't have real time protection being the free version).

How much have I compromised protection now I've switched off SD helper?

Thank you.