PDA

View Full Version : SpyBot scan freezes/hangs on Fraud.UPSInvoice

SheriDH
2010-07-12, 15:47
When the scan gets to Fraud.UPSInvoice, it stops making any progress and simply hangs or freezes. There are no problems showing up in the list prior to that point.

I am running Windows XP sp3, with AVG as my anti-virus program. I have run the program under my own account (administrator) as well as under the administrator account in safe mode with the same results.

There was a post with the same problem in May 2010 but no resolution was ever posted.

Thanks.
Sheri DH

spybotsandra
2010-07-12, 16:00
Hello Sheri,

Did you open Spybot with a right click and choose "run as administrator" (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/42.html)?
Did you close the browser during the scan?

Please disable all other security programs that you run and close all other programs during the work with Spybot - Search & Destroy.

If that does not help please edit the shortcut icon on your desktop that is used to run Spybot-S&D.
Rightclick the icon and choose properties.
Then include a /verbose (with a space tab in front) in it's link location at "Target".
"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /verbose
To see how to do that please have a look at this link (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=23560) in our forum.
Or have a look at this "how to flash tutorial" (http://www.safer-networking.org/flash/howto/howto-spybotsd-enable-verbose-en.htm).
When you do a scan now, it will show an 8 digit number in the status bar at the bottom, like $1234ABCD.
Please mail that information to our detectives team under: detections(at)spybot.info
They can use this information to look up where exactly it hangs. Thanks.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

SheriDH
2010-07-12, 16:20
I don't run the program from a desktop icon, I run it from my program list. I went into Advanced Mode but don't see a place to "run as administrator"...if the desktop icon is the only way to do that, can I just change the settings in Advanced Mode to show the desktop icon or will I need to reinstall?

Update: got the icon onto the desktop from Advanced Mode setting. Rebooted computer into safe mode; can run spybot as myself in safe mode but when I do "run as....Administrator", it tells me the service cannot be started in Safe mode.

I'm pretty sure I've run this in safe mode in the past, and don't know why choosing to run as administrator would make a difference?

spybotsandra
2010-07-12, 16:23
Hello,

You just need to righclick the place where you run it from.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

SheriDH
2010-07-18, 23:47
I have now tried to run Spybot as administrator 2 different ways:

1. In safe mode, logged in as Administrator, I right-clicked and chose Run as...Administrator and received a message from Spybot saying that I couldn't do that in safe mode.

2. Under my named account, which has administrator privileges, I right-clicked and chose Run As...Administrator, and received a message from Spybot saying that access was restricted and I couldn't do that.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Spybot and tried it again with the same results.
I cannot log in as the Administrator in regular mode because the account is only available in safe mode when there are accounts other than Guest on the computer.

Yodama
2010-07-21, 07:38
hello,

start Spybot S&D in advanced mode and navigate to the tools and select the secure shredder. From the secure shredders "templates" drop down menu choose to "add files from temp folder" and delete them all by clicking on "chop it away".

After that try scanning with Spybot S&D.