PDA

View Full Version : Global browser toolbar problem

axnfan
2005-11-25, 09:56
Hello,
I have tea timer and sd helper enabled.
At startup, S&D starts generating popups continuously, filling the right quarter of the desktop, saying that an attept to add a value to registry, regarding Global browser toolbar has been denied.

Hundreds of the following line can be seen in the Log file.

"11/25/2005 12:59:02 PM Denied value "{2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F}" (new data: "") deleted in Global browser toolbar!"

Could not find a way to stop the pop ups, except terminating the tea timer.
Can anyone pls help?

Regards
axnfan

Moved to own topic. - tashi

tashi
2005-11-25, 18:38
Hi there.
{2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} is a googletoolbar.dll

Please open Spybot>Help>About
Let us know the version and latest detection update.

Also do you have Spybot's IE Resident set to "Block all pages silently" ?

Right click on resident icon in task tray >Mouse over Resident IE >Make sure "Block all pages silently" is ticked.

axnfan
2005-11-26, 12:48
Hi Tashi,
Thanks for the reply.
The problem started when i upgraded to version 1.4
latest detection update is 2005-1---18

I could not check the IE resident, since the popups do not allow me to reach there. I just loose the focus on the right click menu. Is there a way, i can do this from the spyboat application in the programs section ?

axnfan
2005-11-26, 12:52
Forgot to add one thing.
I have not google toolbar installed on my system (i have google talk and use gmail, but not the toolbar)

mgs420
2006-02-22, 08:02
is this topic moved? b/c i've just started to have the same exact prob. and i can't get to the resident ie option b/c it goes away by the time i can click on it. if there's any one who can help i would really appreciate it.

thanks in advance

mgs420

mgs420
2006-02-22, 08:33
forgot the to tell you that i have version 1.4 and the detection update 2006-02-10.

md usa spybot fan
2006-02-22, 08:34
re: multiple denied registry changes to remove the toolbar entry:

"11/25/2005 12:59:02 PM Denied value "{2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F}" (new data: "") deleted in Global browser toolbar!"

If you check "Remember this decision" in TeaTimer on a change the information concerning that change it is stored in a file. TeaTimer uses that information to automatically "Allow" or "Deny" changes. It seems that you may have checked "Remember this decision" and "Deny change" when the toolbar was being remove. Go into TeaTimer's "White & Black List", look for and remove any entry relating to that change from the "Blocked registry changes". To do this:Right click on the TeaTimer system tray icon and select Settings. This will bring up TeaTimer's "White & Black List". There are four (4) Buttons across the top of the "White & Black List":

Allowed processes
Blocked processes
Allowed registry changes
Blocked registry changes

Note: If you don't see all four buttons, try expanding the window to the right.
You can delete entries by clicking on the scripted black "X" to the right of the entry that you want to delete and then clicking the "OK" button when you're done. This will in effect make TeaTimer forget what you told it to remember so that during future changes to these items TeaTimer will issue a pop-up dialog rather then just a notification pop-up.

After removing the above entry, if you get a pop-up dialog for the removal of that registry entry do a "Allow change" without the "Remember this decision" option. After you have allow the removal of the registry entry, refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files as follows:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
TeaTimer closes.
TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.

Restart TeaTimer:
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

mgs420
2006-02-23, 09:53
hey thanks md spybot fan :bigthumb:

richard
2006-03-25, 05:43
This is weird. There is no icon for TeaTimer to be found on my computer.
I have been suffering with a Global Browser Toolbar and found this thread. A TeaTimer icon is not visible in the Tools or Settings area. Nothing in the taskbar either. However a couple of monitor programs say that TeaTimer is in the startup menu and that it is running.

Is TeaTimer different from Resident?

I went so far as to uninstall Spybot 1.4 and reinstall it, specifying that I wanted TeaTimer but I can't find it and it is said to be running.

Any advice would be appreciated. TeaTimer was visible two days ago and I was fooling around trying to stop the notification window from continuously poping up so I must have done something to mess it up but how?

Thanks,
Richard

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-25, 06:53
richard:

Make sure that TeaTimer is activated:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident
Check (if unchecked) the following:
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

The TeaTimer icon should be in the System Tray area of the TaskBar (see thumbnail).