PDA

View Full Version : spybot trojan

BigCountry
2010-07-23, 19:04
Hi I recently installed spybot search and destroy, I ran it and it found zero problems, however since I installed it, my firewall ( webroot internet security ) is constantly blocking communication from my computer to known malicious websites, it NEVER did this before until I installed spybot, so I am wondering if I downloaded a hacked version ( downloaded from pc magazine .com ) I have since uninstalled it but the problem persists, I have run half a dozen virus scanners and other malware tools since trying to find the culprit but nothing is turning up infected, im at my wits end trying to figure out what program is trying to connect to these websites, I am very knowledgeable when it comes to PCs and software, I am wondering if a windows reinstall will be required ( which will suck ) thanks in advance for any tips or info anybody is willing to share.

tashi
2010-07-23, 20:40
Hello BigCountry,

so I am wondering if I downloaded a hacked version ( downloaded from pc magazine .com)
pcmag.com? Could you provide the link to download please. :)

I have run half a dozen virus scanners and other malware tools since trying to find the culprit but nothing is turning up infected, im at my wits end trying to figure out what program is trying to connect to these websites,

I am wondering if a windows reinstall will be required
Further analysis would be necessary, especially as it is the firewall only that reports an issue. Also what is the operating system please.

Best regards.

BigCountry
2010-07-24, 18:33
I made a goof it was pc world that I downloaded it from, and I cannot copy the download link since they have a script running keeping people from doing so.
also I am running windows xp with service pack 3 home edition.
today I downloaded a trial version of kaspersky internet security and ran it along side webroot, kaspersky found zero threats of any kind, though webroot is still popping up saying its blocking traffic to bad sites.
one other thing I have noticed that before when my computer is idle my internet connection would be dormant, now its constantly uploading small amounts of data to god knows where since neither program is showing any connections, I guess I will go ahead with a fresh install of windows, since I do not want to risk all my banking info and other sensitive data being stolen.
thanks for any assistance you can offer.